New front garden design

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We moved house last year, and now that all the internal jobs are mainly done we've been starting to focus a bit more on the garden. The front garden was mainly box hedge, and unfortunately a large chunk of it had box blight and had to be taken out. The rest looked really scruffy and was not growing well. We were then left with a choice of what to do with it - fill in the gaps, or start afresh. We opted for the latter! Even the healthy box didn't look very good... its roots were above the soil level in most places, and the soil level was above the level of the path so adding new topsoil would have been difficult.

I'm saying 'we' a lot, but actually I was just the brains and not the brawn since I'm recovering from spinal surgery ;)

So after ripping out all the box we cleaned up the soil. There were a lot of stones and roots lurking about, but after a good tidy and weeding the soil actually looked to be in good condition. There are two nice standard holly trees which we have kept in place, but the larger of the two needs a good prune - hopefully we'll have time for that next week.

I liked the layout of the box hedge, so we decided to replace some of it - around the path, and in front of the windows. We needed 150 in total and we managed to find them on Amazon of all places (!) for £200. They were advertised as being 15-25cm tall, and unfortunately they were all on the smaller end of that scale! Still, it will be nice to watch them grow. The rest of the garden will be shrubs, and ultimately we might cover it over with stones. There are some tall lime trees nearby and cleaning up leaves can be a real hassle in autumn so having large stones over the soil should mean we lose less soil when picking up the leaves.

These are the shrubs we got:

Rhododendron 'Cunningham's White'
Californian lilac (Ceanothus thyrsiflorus 'Skylark')
Japanese maple (Acer palmatum 'Marlo PBR)
Fuchsia 'Mrs Popple'
Dogwood (Cornus sanguinea 'Midwinter Fire')
Kohehu (Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Tom Thumb')
Evergreen azalea - Geisha Purple (Rhododendron 'Fumiko')
Greater periwinkle (Vinca major 'Variegata')
Juniperus scopulorum 'Skyrocket'

Around the bottom of the juniper we are going to plant some fairly compact lavender, I just need to pop down to the nursery and pick some up.

Here are some photos! The shrubs are a little small at the moment, but we didn't want to overplant as some of them have the potential to be quite big. The flowers will be a mix of whites, blues, purples and pinks, and I've made sure there are some pretty shrubs in winter too. Can't wait to see how it looks over time!

This is me standing in the middle, starting from looking to the left of the front door and turning around anti-clockwise.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks! I'm particularly pleased with the "Cunningham's White" rhododendron - it's our surname, and it flowers in May which is the month we got married in :D Can't wait to see the blooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I thought your weather would be too cold in the winter for lime trees. Looks good!

Sadly it is too cold - those small trees are a variegated holly. I wish we could grow limes here, I use so many in the kitchen!

Reaction score
This looks great, you did an awesome job Becky :) Can't wait to see more pictures as the shrubs get a little bigger! Love the walkway too, the shrubs and the walkway will complement each other nicely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The shrubs have already had a growth spurt - especially the vincas, they have doubled in size (mind you, they were very small to begin with!). I think the rootgrow has really helped, everything seems happy where it is. It's so nice watching everything grow! I'll post some more pictures when we've got some blossoms :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We have blooms! :D I took some photos so I'll try and upload them tomorrow.

Reaction score
Wow! Great work on your front garden! I love your choice in shrubs. I think the lavender would be perfect and what a lovely aroma it would be as you walk through the front walk way. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Some photos! Check out how much the vinca majors have grown (photo at the bottom - was previously about 7 leaves)

photo 9.JPG

photo 8.JPG

photo 7.JPG

Reaction score
Ooo! How's it working for you? I really want to grow periwinkle, but all the seed websites don't have it!:mad: Were did you buy yours?o_O

Ask a Question