Front yard vegetable gardens

Reaction score
This is one of my dreams, to be able to see neighborhoods filled with front yard gardens. Yet, in so many places it is against zoning. This is very upsetting, as I cannot figure out why this is. Vegetable gardens, interspersed with flowers are just so beautiful, especially if they have nice paths between the plots. Can anyone tell me the rationale as to why front yard vegetable gardens are still taboo in many places? Is it a Landscape issue? I was actually thinking it might be, which is why I posted in this area. Still I think when done, they are much more beautiful than a lawn.

Reaction score
I think it's just that communities make their own standards. That is why it is so important to look into the community standards before buying a home, anywhere! I think they should be more lenient, but it really is up to the "association" one decides to join in a contractual manner. I am glad to live in a mostly rural area where this type of thing is not an issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My neighbours have planted some vegetables in their front yard and in my opinion it looks really great - it's better than a regular, boring lawn. They have beautiful, red tomatoes there - I'm always hungry when I see them - and carrots and green peas. I find vegetables very pretty.
I remember when I was a child, there were fruit trees in our front yard - an apple tree and a plum tree. Unfortunately my parents decided to cut them down:(

Reaction score
I think vegetable gardens can look really attractive - they give such a good feeling of fruitfulness and the gifts of nature.
This thread made me think of the potager at Villandry, France, where the ornamental vegetable garden has been taken to another level.
http://www.chateauvillandry.fr/

chateaux-villandry-jardin-potager-img.jpg

What is a real shame is that the veg is purely ornamental - none of it is used as food!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
doesn't matter where they are as long as you are growing one these days .

Reaction score
Vegetable gardens can be so beautiful, and the whole idea of growing your own food is such a magical thing. I definitely don't understand why so many communities are against them. The same ones who complain about people planting veggie gardens in their front yards are also the ones who swear to only purchase organic produce and to shop at places like Whole Foods. It doesn't make much sense, does it? Modern-day snobbery is such a joke. I think a lot of people only live "green" and "organic" lifestyles because it's the "in" thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Here is a picture of a beautiful vegetable garden:

Front-Lawn-Vegetable-Garden-August-2012-2.jpg

If I had a vegetable garden like this, I wouldn't hide it, I'd like everybody too see it - in my opinion it looks really great:D

Reaction score
Nyssa, that would be the day. I am with you on this.. I think we need to use the available space for vegetable gardening.. but when it comes to the front yard people need to take care of the aesthetics. I am sure this can be done. Spinach, different variety of lettuces, different varieties of chard can bring color, vibrancy and beauty. I am glad that I can do what I want with my space where I live. You can have edible flowers, marigolds ornamental peppers etc to make you garden really colorful and nice.

Reaction score
That is an absolutely beautiful garden. I would want to show it off as well...it's way to pretty to hide in the backyard or in a random field somewhere. As long as the garden is well-kempt, I don't see any reason to hide it.

Reaction score
There are several things that you need to consider when you start frontyard garden, first of all you need to choose a good space where you put your garden and also choose a good vegetables that you plant and an outdoor decor to make your frontyard garden look more entertaining.

Reaction score
Definitly a lovely front yard garden. My mom always planted vegetables in among her flowers in the front yard. She put in different kinds of lettuces, rhubarb, the kale with the colored stems, ect. She also grew radishes and carrots as border plants. It was always lovely. She had my dad build some tiered planters and put strawberry plants in them next to the front door rather than pots of flowers. People always commented on how pretty it was.

Reaction score
This is one of my dreams, to be able to see neighborhoods filled with front yard gardens. Yet, in so many places it is against zoning. This is very upsetting, as I cannot figure out why this is. Vegetable gardens, interspersed with flowers are just so beautiful, especially if they have nice paths between the plots. Can anyone tell me the rationale as to why front yard vegetable gardens are still taboo in many places? Is it a Landscape issue? I was actually thinking it might be, which is why I posted in this area. Still I think when done, they are much more beautiful than a lawn.

Would it be possible to grow lettuce in the front yard and disguise it by having flowers growing near the lettuce? Or do they have experts driving around saying "Hey! I see Romaine lettuce behind those marigolds! I'm reporting you." I would just have flowers growing near my leafy greens and tell people that the spinach and lettuce were ornamental plants.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seen vegetable gardens in the front or more to the side of the house. I really do not see a problem, some of the taller plants did get my attention as I walked by but that is that persons yard and what they wanted to do. The front yard garden picture is very pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
One problem with front yard vegetables is that so many people walk their dogs on expandable leashes and allow them to GO wherever the mood strikes. It would be better manners to at least only allow their dog access to the terrace, not the entire yard. I would not care to eat those vegetables.

Ask a Question