NEW FLOWER BED PREPARATION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All...Not a gardener Im afraid...Ive a new concrete driveway installed complete with curve ready for new flowerbed..the depth of the flower bed is only 18inches approx with concrete at base so only have 18inch of soil to play with. What is the correct steps for preparation please..do I need gravel in the base for drainage?..if so how deep?....what is the best soil mix to use please?...I cant find any info online for new driveway flower beds that have a concrete base.

Thank You

Reaction score
Country
United States
greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Does this concrete planting bed have drainage holes of some type? Also how much sun does this bed get?

If this bed drains well, treat the bed similarly to any other planting bed. However, as root room will be limited, you should limit your plant selection to annuals, perennials, and small, low shrubs

If the bed has little or no drainage, it will flood in Winter. There are two options here.
1) Add drainage. Drilling through the concrete in many places might do it.
2) Consider a bog planting. There are many lovely plants that don't require good drainage. These are the types that grow in bogs, marshes, fens and along the banks of pond and lakes.

In either case, I would recommend starting with a fast-draining mix amended with coarse sand. If it was a bog garden, the drainage might not apply but it is still good to start with a porous blend.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Does this concrete planting bed have drainage holes of some type? Also how much sun does this bed get?

If this bed drains well, treat the bed similarly to any other planting bed. However, as root room will be limited, you should limit your plant selection to annuals, perennials, and small, low shrubs

If the bed has little or no drainage, it will flood in Winter. There are two options here.
1) Add drainage. Drilling through the concrete in many places might do it.
2) Consider a bog planting. There are many lovely plants that don't require good drainage. These are the types that grow in bogs, marshes, fens and along the banks of pond and lakes.

In either case, I would recommend starting with a fast-draining mix amended with coarse sand. If it was a bog garden, the drainage might not apply but it is still good to start with a porous blend.

Thank you Marck

Ask a Question