New cherry tree owner looking for advice

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

My partner and I recently bought a house and discovered that the lovely big old tree in the yard is a cherry tree. I've never cared for a fruit tree before, had no aspirations to do so, but here we are! Does anyone have advice or recommendations for books/YouTube/web on caring for cherry trees? Also advice on picking very high up cherries? This is not a new young growth tree. It is probably 30 or more feet high, looks like it was seriously cut back a few times, and is now growing without bounds. I don't even know the type of cherry, except sweet and edible.
20200710_115731_HDR.jpg
20200710_115235_HDR.jpg
20200710_115357.jpg
Pictures attached.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @CherryNovice27 :)

Your tree in my opinion is an accident waiting to happen. Many years ago I used to work on a fruit farm , and cherry picking was one of my jobs. The trees then were great big ones like yours, and there were more accidents than I care to remember. The branches will be very brittle and very long ladders needed to reach the fruit. Not only that it will seed all over the place. I would have it removed if I were you, and invest in a smaller tree. All of the fruit orchards here in Kent grow shorter trees - apples, pears and cherries and pick from the ground.
It will be a long way to fall when a branch gives way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I like what @Tetters said.

I also worked harvesting cherries in northern Michigan for a few years. The big old trees are dangerous. No one got hurt but limbs came down from each of them each year. And yes those light colored sweets are my favorites.

Look into calling out an arborist. It was $100 for me to have a local arborist look at a maple I had. Around here I looked for a "certified arborist" but I don't know what it may be in Canada. But don't just call the tree service/ chainsaw guy that specializes in removing them.

Going in a different direction from Tetters though. If you like the cherry and want to keep it look into getting a semi-dwarf sweet cherry tree and learn to top work graft on to it. Use the one you have as a scion wood source. I bought a semi-dwarf Stella cherry this year and it should top out less than 5 m tall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some people recommend you to damage the tree, but I don't think it's a good decision. You've told that it's tasty than we can't damage the tree. You can take a ladder and cord to get the high branches. I think you will eat cherry from this tree for years.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll look into seeing if there is an arborist in my area, and for now I will pick with a free standing ladder and leave the higher cherries for the birds

Ask a Question