New Build

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am going to build a greenhouse. I live in Southern Colorado near the mountains.

I plan on covering it with Solexx. I was going to build the frame out of Chain Link top rail, or posts. To help strengthen the structure, I was planning on welding the rails together. I am planning on straight walls with a sloped roof like a conventional house. That way I can walk near the walls without ducking.

I was thinking a 10x16. I will use the heavier Solexx and have automated vents on top. I may put a large compost pile on the North side to help with heat.

I am looking for opinions on using welded top rails, and coverings.

I have welded galvanized in the past so I am aware of the risks, and cleaning required. I found a couple of companies that sell connector kits, but I thought welded would be stronger. We get 100 mph winds almost every year, and a fair amount of snow. We also have bears and deer that hang out in our yard at times.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Walls which slope slightly so that they are square to the sun deflect less light, and let more through.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On thinking about it , with 100mph winds they might be a bit more aerodynamic as well, and less likely to support snow drifts. Brick holds heat better than most materials, which is why many greenhouses have a low brick wall as a foundation. The North side is where one loses heat most during the winter, but double glazing the North face with something like bubble wrap to hold heat in might work better than an external compost heap. A large water tank connected to a system for collecting heat during the day makes a good heat reservoir as well. There are some relatively cheap 12volt wind generators that could power underground warming cables, more reliable than sunlight in winter and at night when it is coldest.
Plastic panels tend to flex in high winds, give them a wider fixing slot than you would glass so they can't be blown out.
Sorry, my welding experience is very limited, but I will keep thinking.

Ask a Question