How to build soil for pots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all, I recently started gardening and it seems my soil is lacking. The plants that aren’t dying aren’t thriving. So I have stunted veggies or dying veggie plants. I bought name brand gardening potting soil, that I later amended with regular potting soil, earth worm casting, fertilizer and compost but I still think my soil is lacking nitrogen.

My question is, if I were to completely start over what would it take to get decent soil?

I’m looking more for things I can buy. In ground gardening is a definite no go. Our ground is pure clay. I don’t have big beds, mostly pots with one small raised bed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Potting soil is nothing more than compost that has been composted longer and broken down a little more. Compost is good stuff and so is potting soil but you still need actual soil mixed with what you are using for best results unless you want to add a bunch of different additives. Sure, you can grow plants in potting soil and it is great for starting seedlings, but it is lacking in a lot of nutrients that mature plants must have to thrive. Worm castings are also a great slow-release nutrient provider but it has low amounts of NPK. Its main benefit are the microorganisms of which it is full of. If it were me I would mix a top quality garden soil, 70% soil 30% potting soil. then you can add your worm castings. You will still need fertilizer and it will defeat your purpose to use a synthetic fertilizer so use an organic type. Or instead of a commercially made fertilizer you can use bagged manures

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I recently started gardening and it seems my soil is lacking. The plants that aren’t dying aren’t thriving. So I have stunted veggies or dying veggie plants. I bought name brand gardening potting soil, that I later amended with regular potting soil, earth worm casting, fertilizer and compost but I still think my soil is lacking nitrogen.

My question is, if I were to completely start over what would it take to get decent soil?

I’m looking more for things I can buy. In ground gardening is a definite no go. Our ground is pure clay. I don’t have big beds, mostly pots with one small raised bed
I am in UK with very different climate to you, but we have clay soil - and it's prone to waterlogging in some places.
Our approach was raised beds - shove down some cardboard to supress the weeds and empty a couple of bags of cheap compost on top - then plant. We're on year three for some of our beds and it keeps getting better. All we do is add an inch or two of garden compost to the top of the beds each December - no digging. For some veg we'll use compost tea and manure to make the soil a bit richer.

Two months before this photo taken the front garden was weedy lawn. A mix of clay and builders rubble. The beds have gone from strength to strength since then. All we did was put a wooden frame down (not required), some paper at the bottom and perhaps 4 inches of the cheapest compost we could buy. We planted immediately.

ERM_7779 by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

This jungle at the back was just grass and weeds (again, on rubbly clay) three months prior to this photo being taken.

IMG_2565 by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

We also have a lot of containers - we have a huge patio so have no choice but to use containers there. But we've learnt from experience that things do MUCH better in a raised bed. Our solution has been to make biggish drainage holes in our big tubs and to place them on soil - it doesn't matter how poor the soil is - just poor some sugar solution on the soil and a bit of manure then slap the tub on top of it. We've found that we can then treat it like a raised bed - just pop a couple of inches of manure or compost on it each year. Depending what's growing in it we might also feed it with some worm/compost tea or comfrey tea through the season. If you can connect your tubs to the ground in this way I think you'll get far superior results - and need less watering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The soil here is solid clay too. When I arrived there were a couple of beds that hadn't been used for a while, but were distinctly better than the rest, the next door neighbour told me that the people before last (Fifteen years ago) had a huge pile of mushroom compost delivered, but I have also created a couple of beds where there was nothing before and it was solid clay.
People are down on clay, but it has useful properties as well. Those tiny particles get a ball of water around them which holds dissolved nutrients. On its own, not so good. My additions to it are any and all vegetable material I can get hold of, my new bed I first of all dug out large squares and simply turned them over to bury the grass and weeds and expose the clay. Exposed like that over winter it does break down to a degree to something which much more resembles soil. I have a large oak at the end of the garden which sheds leaves and twigs like mad. Oak does not break down easily, and I bury all that stuff as a sub layer. I collect the small balls of clay that accumulate whenever I rake of hoe, and whenever I have a fire in my incinerator in they go. I break the resulting terracotta up into something like sand, except that it is lighter and permeable, or add the larger pieces to the base layer to help drainage. I find sand is not a good additive other than in small quantities, despite it being recommended, too heavy and solid. On top goes all the compost and other vegetable matter I can lay my hands on.
It takes time, but over a couple of years I have created a couple of quite decent beds where there was solid clay right to the surface.

You will always do better in the soil than out of it. I think it is the fact that humidity and temperature don't vary so much or so rapidly. I have found that with the things I grow in pots for the summer and then move into the greenhouse if I dig a shallow hole to put them in and then use the spoil to fill in in-between the pots to make a single lump of them everything does much better.

My other bit of advice is 'Don't go mad at it', start off with a single small bed and gradually expand year on year. That way the additions are more concentrated and it is not a huge task that just looks impossible. Then grow something like climbing beans that are going to add nutrient and all their root system to it the first year, runner beans (lima beans?) are quite happy with new compost in quantity, I actually empty the compost bin from the kitchen straight in the hole on top of the twigs and leaves just before covering and planting.

Once the bed is going I keep mulching.

Solid clay can become some of the best soil there is.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Consider getting a soil test. Here in the east Sierra foothills (high desert) the ph tends to be high. Maybe as a result we "love" coffee grounds. Coffee grounds help lower ph. We beg as much as possible from local supermarket and restaurant. We can and do get compost in bulk.
We also use large pots for some shrubs and small trees. Pots provide nice contrast. With pots you have complete control of soil. A problem with pots is that eventually you have to prune roots, which is difficult (sometimes have to break pots and get new pots).

Ask a Question