Need help with Azalea Topiary

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was given an Azalea Topiary today and it’s in desperate need of some tic..or maybe it’s to late. When I got it every leaf and flower were completely dried out and the branches and braided stalk doesn’t look like it should, IMO. The person that had it, left it underneath her vent in her house and I think that may be the problem. Anyway, is It fixable or should I let it go and if so, what should I do.

*pic attached

Attachments

• B2087DF7-68C6-4782-B4DC-E218B5799CD0.jpeg
    B2087DF7-68C6-4782-B4DC-E218B5799CD0.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 302

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Did you use ericaceous compost and water it with rain water?

Could your camera go closer to the buds please?

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No I just got it and all I have done is taken all of the dead leaves, flowers, and buds off. And watered it and put it in front of a window. The buds are dead though. When I received it , it was still in the wrapper that goes around the pot from the store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Take your fingernail and scrape a very small piece of the bark loose on the trunk. If you see green, you are in luck. Get out your pruners and start cutting the branches back slowly until you see green under the bark. Leave it in its current pot to prevent any more shock. Water with soluble fertilizer until new buds appear. An azalea makes a good bonsai. I have hacked them down to almost nothing and they come back beautifully.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Take your fingernail and scrape a very small piece of the bark loose on the trunk. If you see green, you are in luck. Get out your pruners and start cutting the branches back slowly until you see green under the bark. Leave it in its current pot to prevent any more shock. Water with soluble fertilizer until new buds appear. An azalea makes a good bonsai. I have hacked them down to almost nothing and they come back beautifully.
Thank you!! That’s exactly what I have done. It’s like I read your mind..lol. To my happiness there was some green underneath the bark after scratching it. Thank you again!!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It might be a good idea just to top up a bit fresh ericaceous compost as the nutrients in the compost might have been depleted. Just add a bit to top up, but don't bury the crown too deep. OR make sure the feed is for ericaceous plants.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ericaceous compost can be bought from gardening centres. It's for acid loving plants such as blueberries, azaleas, Rhodo, skimmias ..

Ask a Question