Mystery

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've looked for that stuff, but i can't seem to find any. I do have the Roundup poison ivy killer, not the regular weed killer. And I have crossbow if I need to get really nasty.

I'm going to try the concentrate vinegar first as a ground clear. I'm going to clear out that whole bed of anything. It's over run with Ivy's and various grasses. Once I get rid of the lesser stuff I can Target the poison ivy a little stronger as needed. Hopefully I won't kill the trees in the process. There are some oak, magnolia, sago and other palms in there too.
Vinegar is not a systemic. It will kill the tops but not the roots. It will finally kill the plant but you still have to do it multiple times. Regular Roundup is a systemic as it is absorbed thru the leaves and into the roots but since poison ivy has such a robust root system it takes many applications. I have never used the Roundup Poison Ivy Killer so I have no information on that product. There are different brand names of stump and vine killer. Bonide is another popular brand. Home Depot, Lowes and WalMart all carry it. If you follow the directions you don't have to worry about damaging anything else. It is not a spray. You apply a few DROPS of this stuff onto the stump of what ever it is you want to kill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@vette-kid is creosote legal in America? Although it's not legal here now, a number of years ago my brother sprayed it on ivy and it killed it off completely. I wonder if it would work on poison ivy?
About the only creosote available in the US is coal tar creosote. It is used for marine pilings, telephone poles etc. One can make creosote for roofing by mixing coal tar and diesel fuel 50/50. I would guess it would kill poison ivy but the cleanup of the coal tar would be onerous at best. Molasses mixed with diesel fuel is the only way to eliminate the hazards of diesel fuel. Coal tar removal is akin to stripping the roof off of a gravel roof building and then you have to have a hazardous waste disposal site to dump it. Medina Inc. of Hondo Tx has been cleaning up hazardous sites where the soil is contaminated for years and the main ingredient is molasses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not such a good idea then Chuck.
Not unless you want to have a bunch of thick black gunk sticking to everything in sight There are folks who still paint cut oak tree limbs and cut stumps with it though, more for an insect barrier than anything else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes vinegar will only kill the vegetation. But, imho, poison ivy vines are easier to handle without the leaves on them. Urishoil is a nasty beast and the less of it I have to work about the better. You can still get it from the vine, from ALL parts of the plant actually. But it's easier to handle carefully without leaves.

I'm a bit then in that approach actually, as it makes ID All but impossible. But the alternative is to have urishoil ALL OVER THE PLACE. there is just no amount of protection I can take that avoids contact. I'm just trying to minimize it. In the picture below you can see what I'm dealing with. You probably can't tell from that photo, but there is possible to ivy all through this. Mostly small vines here. The big stuff is in the background beyond the bed, but that will have to go too.

IMG_20180925_160607725.jpg

Ask a Question