Mysterious poison ivy imposters, or the real deal?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
The scene: A quiet, slightly overgrown suburban flower bed, which the grounds crew forgot to mulch. What do you think?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Clever look-a likes, or poison ivy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks like poison ivy to me. If you react to it, touch it and see lol. (OK maybe that's bad advice, some people can have a fairly serious reaction!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
How to get rid of these little plants, that they will not come back? I an extremely allergic. Ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In the case of poison ivy, an herbicide like Roundup will work quite well. Follow the package directions and make sure you only get it on the poison ivy! It will kill pretty much anything it touches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree with @Arielphf - not a fan generally of synthetic chemicals in the garden but sometimes you have to get out the big guns. I'm not at all allergic but have a friend who is...once she ended up in the ER because she swelled up so badly after contacting poison ivy.

As I understand, RU doesn't stay in the soil, if applied to broadleaf weeds it dissipates quite quickly. I used it as a last resort at a previous house when I had a horrendous Canadian thistle infestation and it really worked without destroying surrounding plants. I used a small paint brush to paint it right on the offending leaves and it finally all withered up and died. I was getting $1000+ nastygram estimates from the city at the time to eliminate them. :sick::eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
It's only 6 - 8 small plants. Each about the size of my hand.
Would a landscape company charge much to get rid of them?
I know it seems silly to need help.
I do not think it would be safe for me to be near the plants or use the strong chemicals. I am autistic so highly challenged with awareness.

I just want to safe to work in my little garden again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's only 6 - 8 small plants. Each about the size of my hand.
Would a landscape company charge much to get rid of them?
I know it seems silly to need help.
I do not think it would be safe for me to be near the plants or use the strong chemicals. I am autistic so highly challenged with awareness.

I just want to safe to work in my little garden again.
Do you have any friends who could use it on these plants?

At the risk of sounding like a chemical advocate, which I am not, Roundup, or glyphosate, its active ingredient, is one of the least dangerous chemicals you can use. It works by inhibiting a part of photosynthesis, and since you aren't a plant, it is essentially ineffective on you (or on soil or plant roots). If you drink coffee, you are ingesting a more powerful chemical (at least in terms of its effects on humans) than Roundup.

I don't like using any chemical if I don't have to, but your concern here is a bit misplaced. See if you can find a neighbor or friend who can either pull the plants (not guaranteed they won't sprout back) or hit them with Roundup. Getting a professional out for this might be possible, but it'd be serious overkill and I'd be far more concerned what they'd use in my garden (way worse than Roundup) and that they'd kill way more that just the poison ivy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Agree with @Arielphf ... do you have friends, family, neighbor who could remove them for you? If not, any handyman or lawn service could. I'm guessing it would take about 15 minutes, either to pull by hand or spray so it shouldn't cost much. Heck if you were my neighbor I'd do it for free. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Thank you both! I am going to call my apartment company to see if their lawn guys might help me. I hope so!

Ask a Question