My truck

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20180825_111323034.jpg
the engine is pretty neat too the old one gave up but she now has a new 16.50cc with twin carbs ect plenty of power for a old hippy lol

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Great looking beetle Darren; the new paintwork is truly superb; top marks. (y) Have you entered it in any shows because its very worthy?

You'll be familiar with Weber carbs then? What's the fuel consumption like with the bigger engine installed;

Years ago Bron and I owned a beetle 1300cc; it was fitted with a "Zoom tube" and each morning at 6 o'clock when I cranked it up it could be heard for miles around. Before marrying Bron I also owned a split screen VW camper the classic one; it would be worth a lot of money now but then it only cost me £150. I never did get used to the 12' long starting handle. :D:D:D

During my biking days I also rode a bike fitted with a 1200cc VW beetle engine installed. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I literally learned to drive in that exact year model vw. Same vanilla color too.
Could not think of a better car to learn to drive in(y) .............back in the day that is:)
Hi,

Great looking beetle Darren; the new paintwork is truly superb; top marks. (y) Have you entered it in any shows because its very worthy?

You'll be familiar with Weber carbs then? What's the fuel consumption like with the bigger engine installed;

Years ago Bron and I owned a beetle 1300cc; it was fitted with a "Zoom tube" and each morning at 6 o'clock when I cranked it up it could be heard for miles around. Before marrying Bron I also owned a split screen VW camper the classic one; it would be worth a lot of money now but then it only cost me £150. I never did get used to the 12' long starting handle. :D:D:D

During my biking days I also rode a bike fitted with a 1200cc VW beetle engine installed. :)

Kind regards, Colin.
I'll Have a better idea on fuel consumption next year as since its rebuild I've only Done about 30miles on local short runs to show her off a bit and make sure all is running as should but so far she is running like a dream & I'm vary happy to be getting to the end of this restoration .............So Wednesday I'll be driving her to Colchester for the interior retrim its a 35 mile run and will be the furthest I've driven her for a few years. I'll be leaving her there for a few weeks then dropping her back in to the workshop for my brother to redo a couple of vary small thing in the paint department. then that's it I'll be waiting for the first shows next year that appeal to show her off & maybe a few car magazines too(y) . Weber's are good carbs I've had this set for many years ..........last week I sold a old pair of Solex Carbs on ebay, the buyer got such a deal as they went for a fiver:eek: lol at least they are out of my shed and on the way to an air-cooled engine somewhere(y)

ha ha you had a zoom tube......... they are loud..........the one that I had that made the biggest noise to be heard was a RX I think they are band now:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Our youngest son, is often approached by people wanting him to sell them "Ruby." His VW "splitty."

He imported her several years ago from Utah. So no rust. He took out the recling seats, replaced the missing bulkheads and found some original seats. It's now as it was in 1967, other than leather covered memory foam seats and a hi-fi system. He and his partner have been all over Europe in it.

P6070001.JPG

It had louvered side windows, so they had to go, or no insurance.

P6070004.JPG

(She made the curtains).
He did most of the work himself including all the interior, with help from her brother in law who had a body shop who did all the necessary bodywork and re-spray.

P1010449.JPG

P1010446.JPG

P1010444.JPG

P1010445.JPG

P1010450(1).JPG

She can't drive it as her feet don't reach the pedals.

CIMG3606.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
what a lovely and vary cool Camper Sean they have done a lovely restoration .......Old vws never Die they just go on & on & on(y)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Lovely camper Sean and it looks in superb condition; these are now classics and highly sought after; pity VW don't bring them back to life but with modern electronics etc and more efficient engines.

I paid £150 for my split screen camper like yours over 40 years ago it having the 1200 cc engine installed. Mine had the cooker hob secured to the middle door; once it got up to speed taking about a fortnight it was a huge pleasure to drive and so smooth; in those days I changed my vehicles often but I'll always remember the camper with fondness; I did respray it using a Burgess "Sprayit" in cellulose. I prefer the look of the genuine split screen rather than the bay window models.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It had its moments.

He stripped the interior it down to bare metal above the floor ready for its re-spray He labelled up all the wires, so that he'd know what went where. As expected all the coloured wires ended up cream, but so did the labels. It was a hell of a job afterwards sorting it out afterwards.

Pootling alomg at 50mph on a trip down to Cornwall a few years ao, he said this blue spltty flashed past him on the motorway. Fifteen minutes later they pulled into a services and saw it the car park. He got talking to the owner. He said it had a lowered suspension, disc brakes, wide wheels, low profile tyres and a Porsche engine. Don't think I'd like to be in one traveling at any great speed with just a bit of sheet metal in front of your knees.

CIMG3601.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
I do a lot of car shows, about one a week in the spring thru fall. See some Vdub camper busses and the Bettles. Most remain in stock form even to color.

I had a long chat with the fellow who owned this one. The family camps in it for a couple weeks every summer traveling in Michigan's UP. said they also camp every week end near home on a lake where they fish.

MXnEKQB.jpg

I believe this one is a 1968, owners has had her since new and drove it daily for many years. Clains is orginal paint and the motor is all orginal.

HvSIbAM.jpg

I will have to look into it but think this car on our award was last years best in show.

t4Gih9E.jpg

Another jewel, So many here ended up with dune buggy bodies or the engines went in sand rails.

vLorjG5.jpg

This one is a Morfidyke. V8 engine in front and raditor in the rear on a GM S 10 chassie.

WVjQZof.jpg

1E6evDA.jpg

Then there is this one.

:D Al

Ask a Question