My melon plant is dying with melons on it

Reaction score
Country
Suriname
Hi,
so i live in the tropics. I have had some melons planted in the ground for some time. I have a bunch of small fruits, and some larger ones. Not too large, diameter about 14 cm. But i noticed this morning that one of the plants with a larger fruit one it started to die. The plant with the other two big fruits is still okay but i dont know what to do now. And i also dont know if i should leave the fruit sitting there, and if theres anything i can do, or what i did wrong
Please help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,
so i live in the tropics. I have had some melons planted in the ground for some time. I have a bunch of small fruits, and some larger ones. Not too large, diameter about 14 cm. But i noticed this morning that one of the plants with a larger fruit one it started to die. The plant with the other two big fruits is still okay but i dont know what to do now. And i also dont know if i should leave the fruit sitting there, and if theres anything i can do, or what i did wrong
Please help
The first thing to look at is the vine itself from the melon back to where that particular vine began. Look for chewed areas on the vine. Rats for some reason really like melon vines. They also like ripe melons. Melons do not get riper after they are pulled so in your case you've got what you've got an unripe melon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You should to a melon really carefully, there should be some damage, maybe an illness or insect that eats it. Yes, this melon is spoiled, but if you understand why the others could be saved. You can some of your neighbors too, it can be a local problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Check for squash bugs. They look a lot like small shield shaped stink bug beetles and are gray, becoming brownish when fully mature. Look underneath the leaves. They affect squash but can also affect melons and cucumbers. You may also see small typically "V" shaped groups of eggs under the leaves - if so squish them. You can try to pick them off in the early stages of infestation or trap them under paper, card, wood, etc. laid on the soil and kill them off in the early morning (gotta be quick - they are!) A bug spray containing permethrin is the best thing to use and is very effective, but read the label carefully first as you may have to wait to harvest fruit after application. Remove and destroy dead leaves.

Ask a Question