Mulberry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Somehow or other beyond the nursery rhyme I didn't really know about Mulberries until a few years ago. Once I did find out about them I attempted a get a tree locally to no avail . Even made a 2 hour road trip two years ago to a nursery that had them only to find someone had bought the last 6 of them earlier in the day (bummer :( ). This year I called the same nursery ahead of time to see if they had the same Illinois everbearing variety again but they had something different. I ended up ordering one from mail order place on opposite side of country and then, as luck would have it, I just happened upon a nursery that was an easy drive away that had them in stock. Nice sunday drive and one came home with me (I was also lucky enough to cancel the mail order one before it was shipped). It is beginning to awaken and also looks like it wants to attempt to fruit this year. We shall see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Gosh, that must have been frustrating for you! I'm pleased to hear you found one in the end though. What are you planning on doing with the fruits? I hear that mulberry gin is very nice :D

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know too much about Mulberry Trees, a quick search gave me this picture of the fruit on the tree. I would not mind having one of these in my yard if the fruit is similar to raspberries
redmulberrytree.jpg
it sort of looks like a raspberry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
@Becky , I had heard something about a beverage, but have to wait to see if it truely does produce fruits :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And Mulberry wine. :) I'll be curious to find out what the fruit is like. I hope your tree has lots of tiny fruit babies. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Love mulberries! My last house had a large mulberry tree, it's a very pretty tree as well.

Warning though.:rolleyes::poop: My deck at that house was stained light gray, the tree was right next to it and the birds got most of the mulberries. They were the dark red ones, and the birds pooped a lot and left many little pink spots all over the deck even after hosing and scrubbing.

Neighbor at my current house has a mulberry tree bearing the white ones. I actually prefer the taste of those.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XQQOD 17 June 2013 Bird Protection for weeping, fruiting, black fruit, mulberry bush
Fruiting mulberry bush bird protection via a fibre glass screen cage, supported by eight foot rebar and held in place with plastic ties. Trays are placed under the tree to catch the ripe berries when the tree is shaken.Robins eat the berries and defecate on the tree if no protection is provided.This weeping fruiting mulberry produces a black elongated fruit similar to a blackberry, but a bit smaller and sweeter.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?LLJGD 28 June 2012 Fruiting Mulberry Bush (Morus nigra) Fourth Picking.
Fourteen ounces of prime berries wee collected. These are probably the sweetest berries to which I have been exposed.

Reaction score
I am not so sure but I have heard that these are good for hypertension. They look so much like blackberries but blackberries taste much better. Usually the trees bare so many that it would even be hard to pick them all. They remind me of the nursery rhyme. Here we go round the mulberry bush. You know it was only until a few years back that I learned that the berry in the song was real.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have a tree and it yields well. Just like any other fruit it can be eaten when it ripens (the fruit gets a black colour) as well could be used to make wine and juice. What we have are small in size.

Mulberry leaves are fed to caterpillars in factories where they are used to produce silk.

mulbery.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I don't know too much about Mulberry Trees, a quick search gave me this picture of the fruit on the tree. I would not mind having one of these in my yard if the fruit is similar to raspberries

redmulberrytree.jpg
it sort of looks like a raspberry.

I have two trees. They grow from cuttings as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have several mulberry bushes (I learned in another thread that it is not called tree) in the nearby vacant lot that my husband is using as extension of our garden. All those mulberries are fruiting now and when properly picked can fill half a basket. We love mulberries that's why we have them. Besides, we know that birds relish mulberries so that's like giving them free food.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
We have several mulberry bushes (I learned in another thread that it is not called tree) in the nearby vacant lot that my husband is using as extension of our garden. All those mulberries are fruiting now and when properly picked can fill half a basket. We love mulberries that's why we have them. Besides, we know that birds relish mulberries so that's like giving them free food.

I have seen birds particularly cuckoos having a feast on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Just started harvest yesterday (grand total of 4 ripe ones :) ) , there are more to come soon. First time I have ever eaten them, not bad at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Picking a few every other day now and will be for a while with this variety tree. Think I may get 3 or 4 dozen total this year, nit bad for first year transplant

Attachments

• mulberry.jpg
    mulberry.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 416
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Picking a few every other day now and will be for a while with this variety tree. Think I may get 3 or 4 dozen total this year, nit bad for first year transplant

It looks like you are enjoying your mulberry. There was a time that we would go to a distant park just to pick mulberry. Promenaders do not know about it so the ripe blue mulberries seem to be waiting for us. We could fill up 2 plastic glasses before going home, not counting the mulberries that we had eaten while picking. It was really fun with the kids. But now there are no more kids and the mulberries here are heavily fruiting. Ironic.

Ask a Question