Mulberry Baby Tree!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hi everyone! I've been slowly but surely working my way through our backyard, getting rid of somethings, attempting to keep others.

I came across a 4 inch tall Mulberry Tree sapling next to my shed! Amazing! I'd love to keep it and put it somewhere else (it's too close to our shed) but I'm just wondering if I should move it now or maybe pot it and bring it in until next summer?
Leave it until next summer and move it then?

I can't imagine it will get much bigger between now and next summer - especially since it;s already starting to get cooler here at night.
Any advice would be appreciated - thank you

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
If it were mine, I would wait until the tree/sapling is dormant and then move it to the location of your choice making sure you get a good root ball in the process. Move it once and make it easy on yourself and the tree.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fruitless Mulberry Trees are notorious for busting concrete sidewalks. Their root systems are very destructive when planted close to a foundation or sidewalk. Another problem is they are very hard to remove once they are fully grown. Some will split after about 15 or20 years old and have to be removed. They discharge with milky stickie sap that makes them hard to remove. The wood is extremely heavy and will not burn.

Mulberry trees that do bare fruit will dirty up everything that's under them. When you walk under the tree the berries stick to your shoes and will track in the house and stain carpet or floors. Mulberry trees are a problem where I live and you can't buy them here anymore at all. That little sapling can grow into a big problem. I would pass.

Ask a Question