Mulberries

Reaction score
I know most people can go both ways with mulberries, but I love them! When I was growing up, there was a mulberry tree outside of my window. I'd open it up and have a snack. Now, in the house we recently moved into, we have a mulberry tree! Every time I took my dogs outside I'd stand and snack on them, then decided to harvest some. I have about 2lbs of them in my freezer, waiting for ideas. Do you do anything with mulberries?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I ate mulberries when I was a child, but I don't remember it too clearly. Many years have passed from that day;) I have no idea what they taste like. I must say they look really yummy in pictures! I like everything that reminds me of raspberries:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What do they taste like, I don't recall ever having them before? Where do they grow?

Reaction score
Mulberries are sort of a lighter tasting berry. They're not tart, and not sweet. It's a very subtle flavor. They're delicious on their own, but would be probably underwhelming in a pie or sweets, without mixed with others.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The fruit of Mulberries (Morus spp.) is mildly sweet and pleasant, but those who expect they will taste as richly flavoured as bramble fruits, such as Blackberries and Raspberries (Rubus spp.) are usually somewhat disappointed. Using mulberries in a mixture with other fruit is a good idea.

Though the fruits appear superficially similar, Mulberries and Bramble berries are not that closely related. Rubus is in the Rose Family (Rosaceae), while Morus is in the Mulberry Family (Moraceae). However both families are in the same order, Rosales.
The structure of each fruit is also quite different. Rubus species produce aggregate fruits of drupelets formed from many separate ovaries within the same flower. Conversely, Morus species produce multiple fruits, composed of small, individual berries from many separate flowers, that partly fuse together during development to produce one structure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mulberries are delicious, but be aware that if you get a tree, they are extremely messy. The fruits stain and the birds love to spread them everywhere - your car, your patio, your garden furniture included. I would love one, but I'm not going there. There are some white fruited varieties, but I don't know what they taste like - or if they still stain. There are also some compact ones and some with very vertical growth and nor much spread. They are better for the dropping fruit. I did some research and decided not to get one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If the pigments from a dark-fruited mulberry stain fabric, one can use the clear juice from an unripe green mulberry to dilute and unfix the plant dyes. This makes the stain easier to remove.

Ask a Question