Moved to a new house and now I need to start from scratch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I recently moved from Connecticut to Greenville, South Carolina and had to leave my garden behind. My new yard is tiny, but I’m hoping to put in both a small vegetable garden and a bunch of butterfly plants. Unlike my old yard, the ground here is nothing but heavy red clay. I don’t know how to garden in it. My first impulse is to put in raised bed for the vegetables . I don’t know what to do about the perennials that I want for my butterfly garden.

In addition to learning how to plant in Clay, I have moved from a zone six to a zone eight. I’m excited about a longer growing season, but I need to learn about the differences in the climate.

I’m hoping to benefit from the experiences of the people out there and would Like to hear your thoughts and comments.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Clay is not a bad thing. Most of Texas is heavy clay and it grows just about everything. The only thing is that it is fairly hard to work. By adding a lot of compost and organic matter to the clay it will make working it a lot easier.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand you so much man, I am also going to move to a new place, and when I am thinking about the fact that I will have to start it all from the beginning, makes me sick!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand you so much man, I am also going to move to a new place, and when I am thinking about the fact that I will have to start it all from the beginning, makes me sick! Especially taking into consideration the work that I have put into making my garden look like it is right now! I really love it, however we have to move back to Miami, as my wife's mother is feeling very bad. We are looking for some house sale in Miami, and I really hope that I can find one with a proper garden that would not have to be "renovated".

I have found a house, and you know, it is really amazing!

Ask a Question