Monark butterflys.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Years ago I would be out on Lake Huron and see Monark butterflys by the thousands in early Sept migrating.
Got so I was rarely seeing the Monarks at all let alone while on the big water while fishing.
Then I some how happened to see a PBS show they were in major trouble.

So I started looking into ways i could possiable help them out. Started by collecting Milk weed seed pods and then distrubting the seeds thru out my property and the road side ditches where they will not get mowed down.

I discovered by accident a swamp milk weed that likes wet damp areas. that has opened up a whole new grow area for milk weed plants. Along our creek bank even in the midst of the woods the swamp milk weed does really well.
To me the last few years it seems like I was seeing the catapillers on the swamp milk weed more than the common for some reason. Maybe it is the moisture surrounding the plants, not sure.

I am thinking I will make an attempt this year to collect catipillers and raise them into full grown butterflys.

This is one of the catipillers I was watching last summer. It is on a swamp milk week plant, note the narrow leaves.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Al

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am thinking I will make an attempt this year to collect catipillers and raise them into full grown butterflys.

Be sure to raise them outdoors, as recent studies suggest that indoor-raised monarchs won't know how to migrate.

I raised some the first few years after I started my native garden, now I just let nature decide what happens. I found three chrysalises in the garden last year! I photographed this one at different stages.
IMG_2290 copy2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Have only found a couple catipillers so far this summer.
Just not seeing all that many Monarks around.

I this year have a huge crop of thre regular Michigan Milk weed and also nearly half the creek banks are lined with the swamp milk weed.

if all the blooms pan out with pods I would be willing to send seeds to any one for the cost of postage in a regular sized envelope.

Few years a go I sent a few flower seeds to a friend in Canada. they were treated roughly in the mail and many were out of the small key envlopes that were in a box.
So keep that in mind seeds seem to not travel well to other countrys.

Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have noticed a lack of monarchs here as well. We had one or two earlier but nothing since, maybe the extreme heat. Did get 10 caterpillars and so far 7 have hatched and been released. Last 3 should hatch in next few days.Have tons of flowers in the butterfly garden and seeing a few tiger swallowtails but nothing else. Tons of aphids on native milkweed and tussock moth caterpillars ate most of the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Monarch butterflies are the most common ones I see in my yard every year, including this one -- every day I see so many. However, I do wonder how many are our Florida native variety, vs the ones that migrate...

Ask a Question