Mold on Living Plants

Reaction score
So, I was recently hired to help an informative site spread the news about the dangers of mold and I have begun to wonder - since mold mainly metabolizes already decomposing organic material - if any of you have encountered a mold living on any of your thriving plants in the garden?

Reaction score
It sounds like it could happen on things you need to pick right away, I could see this happening to tomatoes if you were to not pick them and they were just sitting in the dirt. Mold needs moisture to thrive.

Reaction score
Okay. So it just doesn't sound plausible that mold could infest a plant that is healthy and thriving? I think you're right. It would be a fruit or vegetable that is past its prime, not a healthy, non-aging plant.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree, the plant must be decomposing to allow the mold to start to grow. I have not seen mold on a living plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This is probably off topic, but not everything that appears to be mold or fungus is, and some are beneficial. I hope you will include information on these too. I recently freaked out finding this on my blueberry bushes, but it is a beneficial organism, Fuligo septica, frequently called the "dog-vomit fungus." http://www.extension.iastate.edu/newsrel/2003/mar03/mar0303.html
image.jpg

Reaction score
This is probably off topic, but not everything that appears to be mold or fungus is, and some are beneficial. I hope you will include information on these too. I recently freaked out finding this on my blueberry bushes, but it is a beneficial organism, Fuligo septica, frequently called the "dog-vomit fungus." http://www.extension.iastate.edu/newsrel/2003/mar03/mar0303.html View attachment 3129

Thank you so much for showing me this. The readers at this particular site are often worry-warts when it comes to mold and I imagine if they found something like this around their yard or in the gardens, they would be freaking out. So, I am definitely going to write an article about this particular fungus. Thanks again!

Reaction score
There are many fungi which grow on healthy trees, and myccorhizal fungi are extremely beneficial, however, some like powdery mildew are deadly.

Right. Exactly. I was just curious because toxic mold and even common non-toxic (but still hazardous to human health) molds can grow and thrive inside a living host. So, I was just curious as to whether or not they could thrive in a living plant but I'm now kicking myself for even suggesting it because plants are naturally anti-fungal...LOL

Ask a Question