Mobile phones.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just posted this thread onto the sister DIY site so thought I'd also post it on here just for a bit of interest.

I've owned a mobile phone for about 8 years; this phone cost an whole £5 new through eBay and it broke my heart to put on £10 credit; 8 years on I've now got £4.40 credit on it this after a first £10 top up; I only ever use the phone to let Bron know I'm on my way home from Rufforth Auto Jumble once each month weather permitting so perhaps only 9 times each year.

Just to indicate how much I know about these mobile phones when I topped up with credit I topped up with Vodafone; I thought all was well until the money was refunded then I topped up with O2 and all was well.

A few months ago I bought Bron her first mobile phone it being new and O2 just in case of emergencies. I put £20 credit on it. Bron used her phone once just to test it; this morning Bron asked how often she needed to use her phone and I thought it to be once every 3 months? Now when Bron tried to ring our landline her phone is absolutely useless bringing up a "Invalid sim" message so in an emergency Bron is expected to contact O2 first before using her new mobile phone? So much for modern technology in an emergency; a box of matches to light a fire sending smoke signals would prove more useful.

I don't trust anything having a circuit board fitted and I dislike any phone with a passion; I used to have three desks one in each of my departments at work with five phones in total and I also had a pager; at times I would have three pagers when my colleagues were off site; the phones and pager/s used to drive me mad hence I now detest phones.

Out of curiosity I've just browsed the web; I can contact O2 by phone hopefully to resolve the problem which would be highly useful stuck in a remote area in an emergency with a dead mobile phone.

OK I'm a dinosaur and proud of it but I remember the days long ago when things bought were reliable especially "Made in Britain" We're visiting Meadowhall Shopping Centre tomorrow so we'll pop into O2 and ask them to get the jump leads out to bump start this useless phone.

I've just been up the mountain with a very old very reliable hoe to do some weeding.

Modern technology; Bahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
i've a movbile phone it cost just a few pounds and it lives in the ashtray of my car. it's just for emergencies and checking fo any "just get mes" I check from the golf club car park before I come home. So I guess it gets used every couple of weeks. I hadn't put any money on it for a few years, but I did a couple of weeks ago as you can do it on line.

I don't subscribe to the mobile phone obsession.

All this communicative technology, reminded me of this from a few weeks ago.

I watch a lot of American football on TV when it's on. Our youngest son played at amateur level from the age of eighteen for about ten years, so with my wife and I following him each week, I learned a lot about the game.

Each team has a playbook, as thick as a telephone directory. It would be impossible to learn all the plays, but before a game they will discuss which plays would be best used against that week's opposition. There's a lot of science in it. A number will be chosen which seem suitable, so the quarterback and the rest of the "offense" will brush up on them the night before the game. These are usually put on a card which the head coach holds during the game. He can communicate to the quarterback up to 15 seconds before the "snap" by radio, in case he, seeing the way the "defense" has lined up, wants to change the play. It's worked well that way for a long time.

Bill Bellichick who is 67 and head coach of the New England Patriots who with his team has won six of the last nine Superbowls, was given a tablet with the plays on it, or some "advice," in a play-off game in January, by a "well meaning assistant." Maybe it "went down."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I use my iPhone an average of 5 to 6 hours a day. That’s not a misprint. There is a world of information available at our fingertips if we just want to use it. While I am doing mundane chores such as mowing or raking leaves I will put on my headphones and listen to speeches, sermons, blogs or audio books. I am so thankful that I live in an age where I have an entire world of information available at the touch of a button.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Have not got one and have no intention of getting one. Don't know of anyone I would wish to talk to on the telephone either. But then I won't use an old fashioned 'phone either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I use my iPhone an average of 5 to 6 hours a day. That’s not a misprint. There is a world of information available at our fingertips if we just want to use it. While I am doing mundane chores such as mowing or raking leaves I will put on my headphones and listen to speeches, sermons, blogs or audio books. I am so thankful that I live in an age where I have an entire world of information available at the touch of a button.

Each to their own.

I'm aware that all sorts of information is available through my laptop if I ever need it....and just occasionally I do......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi,

I've just posted this thread onto the sister DIY site so thought I'd also post it on here just for a bit of interest.

I've owned a mobile phone for about 8 years; this phone cost an whole £5 new through eBay and it broke my heart to put on £10 credit; 8 years on I've now got £4.40 credit on it this after a first £10 top up; I only ever use the phone to let Bron know I'm on my way home from Rufforth Auto Jumble once each month weather permitting so perhaps only 9 times each year.

Just to indicate how much I know about these mobile phones when I topped up with credit I topped up with Vodafone; I thought all was well until the money was refunded then I topped up with O2 and all was well.

A few months ago I bought Bron her first mobile phone it being new and O2 just in case of emergencies. I put £20 credit on it. Bron used her phone once just to test it; this morning Bron asked how often she needed to use her phone and I thought it to be once every 3 months? Now when Bron tried to ring our landline her phone is absolutely useless bringing up a "Invalid sim" message so in an emergency Bron is expected to contact O2 first before using her new mobile phone? So much for modern technology in an emergency; a box of matches to light a fire sending smoke signals would prove more useful.

I don't trust anything having a circuit board fitted and I dislike any phone with a passion; I used to have three desks one in each of my departments at work with five phones in total and I also had a pager; at times I would have three pagers when my colleagues were off site; the phones and pager/s used to drive me mad hence I now detest phones.

Out of curiosity I've just browsed the web; I can contact O2 by phone hopefully to resolve the problem which would be highly useful stuck in a remote area in an emergency with a dead mobile phone.

OK I'm a dinosaur and proud of it but I remember the days long ago when things bought were reliable especially "Made in Britain" We're visiting Meadowhall Shopping Centre tomorrow so we'll pop into O2 and ask them to get the jump leads out to bump start this useless phone.

I've just been up the mountain with a very old very reliable hoe to do some weeding.

Modern technology; Bahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Kind regards, Colin.
@Colin I cannot resist pointing out that your phone is more advanced than the Star Trek Communicator from the tv series. Captain Kirk and his crew could only speak one their communicators. I would liken a phone to Mr Spock's Tricorder as I have seen recently attachments to phones that allow one to peer inside walls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have TWO mobile phones. One is for work, of which they gave me, with my work number. They upgrade it routinely. Have these phones since 2002 as I am on call 24/7 for my job. I this phone I can access tons of things, one being my work email. I get texts from staff etc. So in planning for my retirement when finally my last day I will have to give up this phone, thus I finally purchased one of my own with my own number now. Was able to move all my phone numbers from work phone to "my" phone as I had for years used my work phone for personnel means ---"free". "MY" phone is an unlocked phone so if I travel out of the USA I can change out the SIM card with no issues. Cost is good I understand for my phone, it was just a little over $100.00. and its monthly fee with unlimited data $40..00 a month, with 2 months free ever year as its set up to charge my credit card. I used both often . And both have GPS on it which is great. Although I do like my work one better its an Apple, and I love Seri. Finally got around to program "my" phone to talk to me, she is not as good as Seri. On my work phone I can actually do my timesheet, and mileage report. On "MY" phone have it set up to see Netflix an do Facebook on it. Oh yes, on "my" phone I have it leaked to my car insurance company, so its in my purse an signals to a driving thing so I get a reduced rate for car insurance when I am a good driver.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
That is wonderful, will have to add those things to "MY" phone. like the audio books idea.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You and I share views on mobile phone use Owdboggy; I wouldn't miss my mobile phone if it self destructed and our landline is mostly an ornament.

I much prefer email because I can control it a lot better to suit me; I can send or receive emails in my own time not having to jump at the sound of a phone ringing. For navigation I have a SatNav. In my workshop I have a mini hi-fi to play my favourite sixties songs on. In our Skoda Yeti we have up to date media with things like bluetooth which sounds like a dental disease; why cars are equipped with things like Infotainment having so many buttons and touch screen to play with beggars belief when both hands should be on the steering wheel and both eyes keeping alert as to what is going on all around. To record my own driving and others driving we also have a dash cam; I set the car ventilation and heating before driving off then I'm not distracted. I see so many drivers on their mobile phones whilst they are driving but if they get stopped by police its never their fault after all the police are there to be blamed.

At work it wasn't enough to lumber me with five phones and up to three pagers but at one point I was given a mobile phone too this phone the size of an house brick and wouldn't pick up signals due to all the metal work around and many electric motors being tested; I was one of the first at work to be given email and on top of my nightmare job I was expected to check for emails at least once every hour; there were strokes; heart attacks and suicides at work.

Now aged 71 and retired (?) for the last 19 years I finally want some peace in my life to enjoy time with Bron but even now no peace because we get so many unwanted callers and neighbours always wanting something it drives us mad; in a way it's good to be wanted by neighbours but it can also be a right pain.

So many now walk around with a mobile phone welded to their ear I don't know how they ever managed without a mobile phone; I mentioned to a chum a couple of days ago that I could make millions of pounds just by inventing a shoulder support to house a mobile phone after all trying to eat and drink whilst using a mobile phone must take a lot of juggling; how many get held up at store checkouts due to someone who thinks their time is more important whilst they casually speak on a mobile phone.

For those of you who love your mobile phone fair enough you are paying for its use and entirely your own choice but when I see kids aged four or five using a mobile phone then somethings wrong.

Sorry if I'm rambling on but I wondered how many shared my views regarding mobile phones. :);)

I got off my backside earlier and did some weeding up the mountain; with a maximum 7C and a breeze it sure felt cold; a short while ago it poured with rain and now it's rapidly changing from a black hole to brilliant sunshine; what a climate.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I think its what you used to @Colin or not. Prior to cell phones I had been in work positions where over the loud speaker my name would be called to answer a call at extension such and such, some days it would be 30 calls I'd get. Thinking about those days, a cell would have been nice to be alerted by not the overhead speaker. My present position, calls can be of urgent matters thus have to be near me. Is it glued to my ear, well no, I do go into the garden often without the phone, but do check it right away when returning after an hour or two outside. I suppose when I retire I will slowly decline from checking it often. But until then my job demands me to keep on top of what is going on 24/7.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I like to listen to the sounds of the countryside when I am outside, not some disembodied voice on a gadget. So I do not even have one of those music playing gizmos.
Also worries me that so many of the runners and cyclists who use our narrow country lane have head phones on. How can they hear the farm vehicles which speed along round the blind bends?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Esther; yes mobile phones are definitely handy for the reasons you describe; I can't stand PA systems or even loud music/songs played in stores; mobile phones have come a long way since I tried using the "brick" over twenty years ago. My works pager was a real pain with no hiding place from it but at least the entire factory didn't have to listen to me being called over a PA dozens of times each day.

I'm sure as you say once you retire you'll find better things to do with your time than play around with a mobile phone; I can highly recommend watching paint dry as a replacement. ;):)

Well said Owdboggy; the runners and cyclists take notice once they are in A&E? Those driving around with loud music playing will no doubt not notice the flashing lights and sirens bearing down on them either.

I'm not against progress but wonder where its all going to end. I hope I'm not offending anyone with my views because its certainly not intended; once the weather picks up I'm out of here like a shot.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought the new mobile phone for Bron 1st August last year; we hadn't realized the time had flown by and not having used the phone since then it must have "timed out" hence the problem so I'll own up to my own mistake through ignorance.

I had thought about contacting O2 online yesterday but decided it would be easier to visit their store in Meadowhall Shopping Center today instead. This morning we popped over to the store 23 miles distant and was greeted by a very young lady who compared to us was a kid. I explained the phone had died bringing up an "Invalid sim" message thinking this would be a very easy fix? How wrong could I be; with loud music playing and loud voices in the store we couldn't hear ourselves think; we did manage to learn that we needed a new sim card; I further explained the phone cost around £20 plus the card had almost £20 credit still remaining would this mean losing this credit? Yes it would so I asked if this girl could destroy or recycle the phone please because I didn't like mobile phones and this one bought for my wife to use in an emergency had so far cost £40 for a single call to check if all was well; no she couldn't recycle the phone but grudgingly she spoke to a guy at the checkout and confirmed the phone needed a new card; at this point enough was enough the noise drove us from the store.

Back home I was about to take the phone into my workshop and introduce it to my trusty non electronic lump hammer; but before doing this logged onto the web and opened a chatline with O2; what a total difference; the person at the other end of the chat was most pleasant and helpful; a new sim card will be with us in two or three days.

This begs the question why were the staff in the store so unhelpful and why couldn't they be bothered to sort this simple problem out; perhaps because all they wanted to do was to sell us something?

In future I'll ensure the phone is used at least once every three months; lockout period is six months. So although initially I was totally to blame the store staff didn't want to know.

I was on the point of dumping both my old mobile phone and Bron's new phone because the hassle of ownership outweighed their usefulness to us. :(:mad:

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought the new mobile phone for Bron 1st August last year; we hadn't realized the time had flown by and not having used the phone since then it must have "timed out" hence the problem so I'll own up to my own mistake through ignorance.

I had thought about contacting O2 online yesterday but decided it would be easier to visit their store in Meadowhall Shopping Center today instead. This morning we popped over to the store 23 miles distant and was greeted by a very young lady who compared to us was a kid. I explained the phone had died bringing up an "Invalid sim" message thinking this would be a very easy fix? How wrong could I be; with loud music playing and loud voices in the store we couldn't hear ourselves think; we did manage to learn that we needed a new sim card; I further explained the phone cost around £20 plus the card had almost £20 credit still remaining would this mean losing this credit? Yes it would so I asked if this girl could destroy or recycle the phone please because I didn't like mobile phones and this one bought for my wife to use in an emergency had so far cost £40 for a single call to check if all was well; no she couldn't recycle the phone but grudgingly she spoke to a guy at the checkout and confirmed the phone needed a new card; at this point enough was enough the noise drove us from the store.

Back home I was about to take the phone into my workshop and introduce it to my trusty non electronic lump hammer; but before doing this logged onto the web and opened a chatline with O2; what a total difference; the person at the other end of the chat was most pleasant and helpful; a new sim card will be with us in two or three days.

This begs the question why were the staff in the store so unhelpful and why couldn't they be bothered to sort this simple problem out; perhaps because all they wanted to do was to sell us something?

In future I'll ensure the phone is used at least once every three months; lockout period is six months. So although initially I was totally to blame the store staff didn't want to know.

I was on the point of dumping both my old mobile phone and Bron's new phone because the hassle of ownership outweighed their usefulness to us. :(:mad:

Kind regards, Colin.

Music in shops is supposed to create a bit of an "ambiance," the purpose is that it isn't a good situation if all a customer can hear is their own footfalls in an empty shop. But the situation is sometimes abused by bored staff, they where possible, bring in their own choices of music, or ramp up the volume of the store stuff. Any manager with a bit of intelligence, would stop this happening. It's the same in pubs. The speakers are on the far wall and the volume control is behind the bar. So the staff turn up the volume so they can hear it clearly, whilst anyone within a few feet of the speakers get deafened.

We were in a pub once, at around 2.00pm having a meal with friends, it was almost otherwise empty. The music was so loud, we couldn't hear what any of us was saying. I walked over to the bar and said to a girl;

"Do you think you could turn the music down?"

"Down?"

But at least she obliged.

I would imagine, phone sales people are on commission, any time spent talking to someone with a problem with a phone, stops them possibly selling one to someone else.

Ask a Question