Mimosa Pudica growing tall and not flowering

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Hi. I have a mimosa pudica. In just two months, it has grown so much and still growing but it does not give buds and flowers. It is also not very bushy.I live in a hot humid climate and the plant is in balcony where it gets bright sunlight

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, Welcome to the Forum.

Sensitive Plant (Mimosa pudica) grows best in warm humid environments, with either full-sun or part-sun light levels. It sounds like you are providing the plant good conditions. Even though Mimosa pudica does fix Nitrogen, it will still benefit from occasional application of a complete fertilizer.

To promote bushiness, prune off the stem tips to encourage branching. In temperate areas, M. pudica mostly grows in the warm season, but in your tropical climate I think it would grow year-round.

As for flowers, if the plant is otherwise healthy, perhaps more patience is needed. If the plant has only been growing for two months or so, it may not be ready to flower yet.

When do other Sensitive Plants bloom in your area? Do you have any photos of it you can post here?

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Thank you Marck. They kind of bloom from July to November. I have this plant for 2 months only (since June) and it has more than doubled it's size. I am just concerned if it is supposed to be tall. Here's a photo of the plant. I have never fertilized it except giving some soaked tea leaves once
IMG_20210824_141710_352.jpg

Hello, Welcome to the Forum.

Sensitive Plant (Mimosa pudica) grows best in warm humid environments, with either full-sun or part-sun light levels. It sounds like you are providing the plant good conditions. Even though Mimosa pudica does fix Nitrogen, it will still benefit from occasional application of a complete fertilizer.

To promote bushiness, prune off the stem tips to encourage branching. In temperate areas, M. pudica mostly grows in the warm season, but in your tropical climate I think it would grow year-round.

As for flowers, if the plant is otherwise healthy, perhaps more patience is needed. If the plant has only been growing for two months or so, it may not be ready to flower yet.

When do other Sensitive Plants bloom in your area? Do you have any photos of it you can post here?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for posting a photo. The plant pictured is not Mimosa pudica. There are too many pairs of pinnae on each compound leaf. Mimosa pudica would only have one or two pairs.There are many members of the Pea Family (Fabaceae) that have similar leaves to those of your plant. Some of them are large trees. If that is the case, your plants might not flower until it gets much larger.

Does your plant's leaves show a thigmonastic response? That is, do the leaves fold up when they are touched? This is a notable feature of Mimosa pudica but there are other members of the Pea Family (and other plant families) that also show this response.

By the way, all your balcony plants look very healthy and attractive. You are doing an excellent job of growing them.

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Thank you for posting a photo. The plant pictured is not Mimosa pudica. There are too many pairs of pinnae on each compound leaf. Mimosa pudica would only have one or two pairs.There are many members of the Pea Family (Fabaceae) that have similar leaves to those of your plant. Some of them are large trees. If that is the case, your plants might not flower until it gets much larger.

Does your plant's leaves show a thigmonastic response? That is, do the leaves fold up when they are touched? This is a notable feature of Mimosa pudica but there are other members of the Pea Family (and other plant families) that also show this response.

By the way, all your balcony plants look very healthy and attractive. You are doing an excellent job of growing them.
Thank you for quick response Marck. Yes, the leaves fold when touched. And also when it is dark or when it is dehydrated or when the plant is shaken. And I have also cut some stems and propagated like mimosa pudica. None of them flowered but grows really tall. It can be that it is not a flowering species but the nursery I purchased it from told me it would give white flowers and that it is sensitive Plant. So, I thought it is a mimosa pudica.
And thank you for liking my balcony plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is probably another species of Mimosa or a related genus. According to Kew, there are currently 612 recognized species of Mimosa... Most of the species do not have thigmonastic leaves, but a fair number of them do. There is another cultivated species known as Giant Sensitive Plant (Mimosa diplotricha), which can grow to 3 meters in height. It does look similar to your plant, though it usually has pink flowers, as does M. pudica, but perhaps there are white-flowered forms as well. There are also a few Mimosa species native to species native to India and one native to Bangladesh (M. rubicaulis), but none of them seem to have thigmonastic leaves.

It is an interesting plant, whatever it's called. Thank you for sharing it with us. When it is large enough to flower, I hope you will post another picture.

Ask a Question