Maybe someone can help with this

Reaction score
Country
France
IMG_0042.JPG

This rose died off, and the stem on the left grew back and seems to be like the original plant. Then this other growth appeared and seems quite different. Any idea what's going on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It was a rose grafted onto a root stock, the vigorous one on the right looks like the root stock, probably a simple briar.
I once had someone ask me to prune a very large old rose that was growing up the side of their house. They came back later in the summer and said it was flowering well, but the flowers only lasted a day, turned out the root stock had taken over completely, grown to about fifteen feet tall and I had pruned it beautifully. :)

Reaction score
Country
France
So should I just cut it off entirely? It's not meant to be a climber, just a bush rose near the patio.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, take the briar off as close to the root as you can get. If it isn't too buried you can probably see the graft and that the rose comes off above it and the rootstock below.

Ask a Question