Maple Tree Roots versus Flat Lawn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello Everyone!

Our neighbor has a several large & beautiful maple trees along our common fence. The roots are at, and sometimes above, the surface of our "lawn". The ground is like moguls on a ski slope, with the ridges going in every direction.

My temptation is to bring in top soil, level the ground and plant seed (or sod, if the budget allows). One person told me not to do this because the roots will soon rise to the surface and undulate the lawn again. Another said the roots from the grass will keep things level.

What do you all think about leveling the lawn? Good plan, or waste of time & materials?

Thanks For Your Thoughts & Advice!
Paul

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks CPP Gardener for taking time to reply.
I didn't think of mulching the bumpy areas. Unfortunately, this would be the whole "lawn". In the front yard, this will help, as those areas are fewer in number & size.
My wife reminded me that I've tilled, soiled and leveled the yard in the past. So your statement of waste of time & materials is spot-on.

Plan B: Let ivy take over?

Thanks Again for advising.
Paul

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You’re very welcome. Plan B sounds good too if you already have the Ivy. If not, there are lots of other ground covers and perennials that you could use and make it a real garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks Again CPP Gardener for helping. I appreciate your help.

Having no grass, as in the usual urban/suburban lawn type, would be OK with me. Long ago in school we were taught that the typical lawn type grass isn't native to our part of Michigan, so it's always kind of bothered me that we're "supposed" to have it.

The people who live next door have a small front lawn at 5 ft x 20 ft. They have nothing but native grasses & plants. It looks good to me with its interesting mix of textures and colors.

Ask a Question