Making a compost

Reaction score
The sculpture is funny.

Is it better to have a metal bin or plastic bin for composting?

Reaction score
As a general rule, I try not to let anyone despise me (Titus 2:15), but if I had a neighbor giving me crap about hanging out clothes to dry, I think I'd say that I'd use the clothes dryer if they'd be willing to pay the difference in my electric bill. :)
While there are some things that are just downright annoying (my grandfather-in-law put up what amounts to a baseball field fence between his house and their neighbors'), if it's your property and there's not town ordnance against it, if you want a compost pile, put one in. It doesn't have to be obvious or ugly. Home Depot sells plastic compost bins that just look like a black barrel type deal. You can't fit much compost in them, but they work well and (as a landscaper), I've seen a few sit in the corner or a flower bed or something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That's a good point, @RedNeckCowBoy007. I'd bet there are a lot of attractive ways to hide compost bins with creative landscaping. I have my compost in two Rubbermaid storage tubs, and I could use a third one just so that I can rotate how I fill them to have compost ready at different times of the year.

I'm in the city so the tubs work best for me. The "pile" isn't so big that I can't turn it by hand - in fact I use a small cultivator and a trowel depending on if I'm just stirring things up or adding new stuff to the bin.

Ask a Question