Making a compost

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That seems simple enough. but is there ever a problem with the compost attracting bugs or unwanted animals? I'm also a little worried about the smell.

You have to contain it or at least cover it. I converted a storage bin so mine has a lid and air holes that are too small for any animals to get into. Right now, the rain bin is sitting on top of the compost bin so it's unlikely anything bigger than a tiny gnat will get into the bin.

If you're worried about critters, you could always do a worn bin.

Reaction score
Thanks, because I wasn't sure what to use to store the compost in. I have plenty storage bins so I can start that right away. By the way what is a worm bin and how do I get started with that? Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks, because I wasn't sure what to use to store the compost in. I have plenty storage bins so I can start that right away. By the way what is a worm bin and how do I get started with that? Thanks in advance

I shared this graphic here somewhere previously, but I can't remember which thread. I have it pinned to my garden ideas board on Pinterest so I am linking you to that in case you want to look at the other stuff that's there: http://pinterest.com/pin/321796335844182555/

The graphic explores the different types of composting so you can choose what works best for you.

Reaction score
Our current compost pin is based on the one my husband's parents had when he was growing up: just some particle board sides with holes drilled in them and a covering that allows some air in the top. He adds our kitchen wastes to it every couple weeks, and once a month or so turns it up with a digging fork. He's been thinking about adding worms to it after talking to another fella he knows that did that.
Do worms make a big difference?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Our current compost pin is based on the one my husband's parents had when he was growing up: just some particle board sides with holes drilled in them and a covering that allows some air in the top. He adds our kitchen wastes to it every couple weeks, and once a month or so turns it up with a digging fork. He's been thinking about adding worms to it after talking to another fella he knows that did that.
Do worms make a big difference?

I would never use particle board for a compost bin! You're putting poison into your soil and into your plants/food.

You don't necessarily want to add worms to an established compost bin. Worm composting is only for organic food scraps. If you want to compost other stuff, you still need a regular bin. The advantage of the worms is that it is a faster process. The worms eat the scraps and their waste is what you use in the garden. This process also creates a liquid that can be collected and used as fertilizer.

Because of climate/weather changes, it's probably best to have a worm bin indoors.

Reaction score
I would never use particle board for a compost bin! You're putting poison into your soil and into your plants/food.

You don't necessarily want to add worms to an established compost bin. Worm composting is only for organic food scraps. If you want to compost other stuff, you still need a regular bin. The advantage of the worms is that it is a faster process. The worms eat the scraps and their waste is what you use in the garden. This process also creates a liquid that can be collected and used as fertilizer.

Because of climate/weather changes, it's probably best to have a worm bin indoors.

How do you figure particle board is poisoning the compost/soil? Got any more info on that? Pressboard was all we had available at the time, and it's not that much different (in terms of materials used) than plywood, which is what my in-laws old bin was made out of, and it served them fine for many years while my husband was growing up.

Aside from pet hair and egg cartons, most of our compost is food scraps (strawberry tops, potato skins, banana peels, etc). That and flower cuttings go in there as well, but it's still organic refuse (which is the only stuff that composts anyways, so I'm not sure what you mean about composting other stuff...).

How do you put a worm bin indoors? I heard of a guy who's got one in his garage, but we pull our vehicles in, so we don't have room for that.

Reaction score
The trick in composting is to add alternative layers of things that can decay easily and those that don't decay easily. For example, a layer of grass, followed by a layer of manure.

Reaction score
I want a compost pile or bin, but I need ways to handle it. I live in a small city. Things for green living are harder to find. Plus, I have a very nosey, rude neighbor. She hates it when I hang clothes out on the line. Any tips for a smaller, almost hidden compost pile? What are your suggestions?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Bit difficult to compost without a big pile, you could try a worm bin.

If the neighbour objects to you hanging washing out in your own garden, then best go out of your way to annoy her and build the biggest compost heap you can, Its nothing to do with her what you do in your own space.

I'd make liquid fertilisers too, less to look at but a lovely smell :D Serve the cheeky cow right:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I want a compost pile or bin, but I need ways to handle it. I live in a small city. Things for green living are harder to find. Plus, I have a very nosey, rude neighbor. She hates it when I hang clothes out on the line. Any tips for a smaller, almost hidden compost pile? What are your suggestions?

Use a storage bin. I started with a single one right outside my door at the foot of the driveway because that was the best spot for it. Later I added a second one so that I could stop adding materials to the first bin and get ready to "harvest" the compost. i was told to use a blue one because it would leach less chemicals and I had some on hand already so it worked out.

Drill holes in the bottom so the earthworms can find their way in and drill holes in the sides so the compost can get some air. With the first bin in drilled holes in the lid, but it rains a lot here so the second time I didn't do it. I actually will switch the two lids back and forth depending on the moisture in one bin or the other. Lesson learned: a few holes is good, several holes lets in too much rain water.

Once there are a lot of worms devouring the kitchen scraps there will also be a lot of moisture so you don't really need a lot of rain water getting in there. I am trying to be conscious of adding more "browns" like dried leaves and cardboard paper towel and tp tubes. BTW. the lid on the bin keeps critters out contains any smell, but my bins don't smell. When I add new "greens" I dig a bit in the bin. dump the scraps, and then cover them up.

Reaction score
Zigs,
You made me laugh so hard! Yes, I feel that way. I just try not to say it. However, I have hung out my undies on the line so she could see them flapping in the breeze all day. Just a little naughty I guess! Some people don't understand the benefits of conservation and gardening! Thanks for the tips.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D

Don't know if this will be of any help, worth watching just for his OTT presentation :ROFLMAO: I subscribe to his channel on youtube.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Now @zigs don't go getting @MindyT into any trouble, lol! That nosy neighbor probably doesn't want her husband looking and Mindy's frilly little undies and getting any ideas. Some people just can't help themselves...

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a friend over here who tried for years to get on with his neighbour, even after all the other neighbours fell out with her.

He finally snapped last winter and made something to stare at her over the garden fence....

EDDIE JEFFRIES.jpg

(Picture copyright of Eddie Jeffries, sculptor)

He moves it around from time to time and there's nothing she can do about it :D

Ask a Question