Magazine style - all inclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Another warm day first of my water lilies out today.
1D22179F-B2B9-4A68-988A-A38C2418C842.jpeg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's incredibly hot here! My plants are wilting in the hot air even though the compost in the pots is moist. The plants are basically being roasted in the hot air!

Nice Waterlily! I have had 6 buds, but the water level just couldn't keep up with the heat as I place the tub on concrete ground. I think I will move it to the back and on soil instead.

Son said that last night he was woken up by thunderstorm. But did we have any rain? NO! Zilch, Zippo!

So hot that I caught up with some more Escape to the country. The more I watch the episodes, the more depressed I am. Just think about the dual aspect rooms and a view. I reckon there would soon be a lot of forest fires, road melting and tyres melting. Imagine what it would be like in August .. Soon we need siestas!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
We had thunder and lightning last night around 2.30 am I was up watching it also rain with it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We had thunder and lightning last night around 2.30 am I was up watching it also rain with it.

I know you hate rain! But I need it and need it now! I am sitting in warm air with car windscreen all along my west facing bay window. Curtains all drawn and the indoor temperature north of 27c! :banghead: :mad::eek::cry:

Imagine those people in France!

By the way, I'm checking the house prices and properties in Wye Valley and wonder if those houses have sceptic tanks! Or wood chip toilet composter! In the allotment, there is one such last building. I never go in there. I make sure I empty my bladder before I go to the allotment.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
There is a bit of a breeze, so it's quite bearable now. Woken up 3.20 and did two rounds of laundry and washed a single mattress. Never done it before. I reckon it's better to steam clean which I will do tomorrow.

Dyson's Joy - a very beautiful pink!
SAM_0388.JPG
SAM_0390.JPG

Night Moth
SAM_0391.JPG

agapanthus alba
SAM_0394.JPG
SAM_0395.JPG
SAM_0396.JPG
SAM_0397.JPG

Prickly echinop
SAM_0398.JPG
SAM_0399.JPG
SAM_0403.JPG
SAM_0404.JPG

Thalictrum - not very photogenic, but it's so beautiful and unique in its colour!
SAM_0405.JPG
SAM_0406.JPG
SAM_0407.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0387.JPG
    SAM_0387.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 101
  • SAM_0389.JPG
    SAM_0389.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 103
  • SAM_0392.JPG
    SAM_0392.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 98
  • SAM_0393.JPG
    SAM_0393.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 89
  • SAM_0400.JPG
    SAM_0400.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 103
  • SAM_0410.JPG
    SAM_0410.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 90

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
DrCase: Stunning impeccable flower and photos! So nice to wake up to these!

Last night was the most awful night - I was glued to a fan and just now woken up by the repressed dragon who finally unleashed its forked tongue, with lightning outside my lean to and groaned a reverberating angry rumble. But alas, an inspection of the water butts revealed that it was only 2 inches in one and about 5 in another. So that was all. The sky seemed to be clearing up a bit at the background. Heavens is mean to our area, as usual.

Glad that at least, I don't have to water the plants and the rain dispatched some of the mugginess and cleansed the air a bit.

1564119150726.png

A quick-to-adapt tourist!

1564119196109.png

LOL! Can you blame him?! London underground is notorious for it stuffiness and that was 25 years ago. Don't think it has improved much.

Meanwhile

1564119329042.png

Source

Trick to make your rose flower bigger and better - concentrated garlic spray.

1564120063543.png

Banana skins and tea leaves
  • Some gardeners swear by putting banana skins on the roots of their rose bushes. The skins decompose rapidly and release helpful minerals including potassium, sulphur and calcium
  • Coffee grounds and tea leaves are also a useful addition to roses because they too are rich in minerals
  • Deadheading roses is a must, gardeners say, because it will encourage more flowers to bloom
  • RHS experts say roses need heavy pruning and owners should be ‘ruthless’ with weak, stunted or diseased ones, uprooting them and replacing the soil they were in
  • Prune rose branches at a 45 degree angle from the centre of the plant to encourage outward growth.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This year, I haven't seen any of my double lilies at all. Was very mesmerised by the lily lady in one of the RHS garden show. Very enchanting colour, Zenj ! I hope I have some growing in the allotment, i.e. tiny leaves coming out of the bulblets that I propagated myself.

Very humid and I absolutely hate it. This morning, I went out 5 times each time with gloves on to plant some more bamboos - to screen off the broken fence, hopefully!

No point spending money on it if we are moving. Glad that the house is not on the market as the heat is killing me and all my curtains are drawn with my son sticking up car screens, the house looks like an absolute ghetto. LOL!

A butterfly was begging me to immortalise it digitally
SAM_0423.JPG
SAM_0425.JPG

Well, no Sour Grapes, but Mother of Pearl I do have, Tala!

penmopGroup.jpg

PenMO)2.jpg
PenMOP.jpg
PenMop3.jpg
penMop4.jpg

Trying to order some Fritillaria Imperalis, but pre-oder and the stuff won't be delivered until September. The most horrible thing is that I got delivery of an order of more hellebores (the one with white petals but pink edges and some green hellebores) and when I googled, they stock the variegated variety! Oh, dear! I want to cry as the postage is £10! Now, I have to wait another year. Wish I were Monty as I think he must have his plants given to him! Or the queen! Haha! Full of freebies!

The sun is still shining and don't believe for a moment that we have had a lot of rain! A lot of porkies more like it! LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It has just started raining, not the neon blobs used by the bbc to excite me. I hope it rains for 3 days solid. Our ground needs it and my swollen right hand needs it. I think my hand has been worse after the bee sting. Part of my 4th finger just keeps locking itself. More sign of senility.

Planted some more bamboos along some vital area. Once it stops raining, I will cut some more from my tall bamboos and plant some in some strategic area. Need to find a plumber to add a bathroom downstairs and hopefully it will add value to the house.

1564207263575.png

So, we have missed the neon blobs again. But the heat created traffic mayhem and son was half an hour late home yesterday. felt sorry for those being displaced in their commuting journey. It's no laughing matter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon few pic over the past couple of days.

DSC00752.JPG

DSC00748.JPG

DSC00746.JPG

View from back window where i am when I am on PC
DSC00744.JPG

Helenium M. Beauty
DSC00741.JPG

Bits of everything in this border, you can jsut see Lobelia Tupa above the Helenium
DSC00742.JPG

Phlox m. lynden bell with rose generous gardener
DSC00735.JPG

The king of the garden at the moment Kniphofia tawny king
DSC00731.JPG

Helenium waltraut
DSC00726.JPG

Monadra Squaw with Ligularia Prz the monarda is nearly 6ft tall, the big leaf plant is a Angelica Gigas I grow from seed I forgot how big they get have to fight my way through
DSC00729.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sanguisorba Lilac Squirrel - veronica blue flame - geum TT and lucifer
DSC00720.JPG

Veronicastrum Fasination - Helenium M B
DSC00717.JPG

Allium Summer drummer - Veronicastrum Fasination - Calamagrostis Karl F - Eupartorium purple bush and Helenium sahin early bottom corner
DSC00716.JPG
DSC00715.JPG

View from my bedroom, my grass :love:
DSC00724.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice! I must get some Veronicastrum! So gross! LOL!

I have holes everywhere! Dahlias are just popping up. And the rain must have worked magic as I have beans growing an inch a day, probably and FINALLY, the old Salvia amistad have several shoots going up properly.

Did you raise those heleniums from seeds, Perki? Do you know where I can get those seeds. I truly believe buying one plant and planting a lone one can never build up any impact. Really love helenium. Rudbeckias, not so keen. Nice photos, Perki! Must be the camera!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No the heleniums are named variety's I am prity sure they don't come true from seed , normally come under the name autumnale seed packets which are hybrids. I plant in 3s normally in a triangle or curve , unless its a very large plant like delephinium lone plants look rather lost on there own.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Quite agree! My garden is full of lone plants and everything is lost. Also, where there is a hole, there is a new plant! LOL! I should be ashamed of myself. But I am basically a person trying to grow something and getting the kick when the plant flowers!

Just got delivered some Salvias I am fuming. One plant looks dead. 2 dry as hell and they all look very poorly cared for. Placed order on 13th and the man (Mr M!) said the plants got posted Tuesday evening. I didn't get the plants until this afternoon. Who would send live plants in the evening? His brain must be mushy!

SAM_1681.JPG
SAM_1682.JPG
SAM_1683.JPG
SAM_1684.JPG
SAM_1664.JPG
SAM_1665.JPG
SAM_1666.JPG

I will never buy from him again. £23 for 4 plants. About £4.50 per plants excluding postage. I am not sure they will flower this year!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question