Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Couple catches bear enjoying a relaxing soak in their hot tub

Think it will be a regular now! :joyful:

The next Elton John supported by a dancer! Quite funny!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Squally shower and now completely quiet. Just in time for me to put my Polish chicks inside the workshop. Thank heavens for the workshop which is nice and warm.

Very annoying that there is no way you can contact your banks or insurance on the cheap. As I have not paid for the calling scheme for land line, I have to hunt for the cheapest way out. I used to pay more than £7 every month for all inclusive calls. Now, I use my son's usage when he's here or use 3 pay as you go. £10 credit lasted me more than 5 years. But these insurance companies just keep giving you phone number which will charge or you click round and round the pages and come back to the same page.

It's so expensive to have children. Sometimes, I said to myself, "Pull another one. How can bringing up a child be so expensive!" Now I have come to realised that car insurance can really whack you for sixes! Of course, after that, you have to buy break down cover, not to mention petrol.

Any way, just try to save somewhere else. There was a bit of thunder rumbling on. Now it's grey and miserable.

SAM_0961.JPG
SAM_0963.JPG
SAM_0964.JPG

I could never believe it that whatever reblooming irises I have bought, they have turned out to be Indian Chiefs! :inpain: :eek::banghead:
SAM_0966.JPG

Sparticus from Peter Nyssen seems to be doing very well even though after my lack of attention or care. The bulb size is something. Well done, Peter Nyssen! Sparticus is indeed a handsome character!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Travellers buy '£3m site' for £3,000 and set up camp next to leafy Hertfordshire village that is home to millionaires including CEOs, high-flying lawyers and ex-England footballer Matthew Upson
  • One hundred travellers reportedly bought the site in Little Hadham for £3,000 - with locals estimating it to be worth £3million if developed
  • The group gravelled and fenced off part of the land for 20 caravans without planning permission, yet despite a council injunction building materials continue to arrive
  • More than 200 residents have complained of loud parting and daily rubbish fires since the arrival of caravans on Good Friday
Ill discipline thrives here, from the politicians to travellers!

What a lovely site with a stunning view!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Found next to an Aldi, the UK’s answer to Tutankhamun’s tomb: Burial site thought to belong to Anglo-Saxon King Saebert is uncovered in Essex in one of Britain's most significant archaeological finds EVER
  • Thought to be the burial chamber of the brother of Anglo-Saxon King Saebert
  • Has been hailed as the 'British equivalent of Tutankhamun's tomb' by experts
  • The tomb is completely intact as looters and archaeologists could never find it
  • It was discovered on land on land between a pub and an Aldi supermarket
Exciting hisotry in Essex

Another piece of good news is that Tottenham Hotspur is through to Champions League and will face Liverpool. Glenn Hoddle is alive to witness it. Must have been emotional. Great for British Premiership teams. Will be fun to watch. My dad was a Spur fan, fan of Gary Lineker.

Thanks for the rain, the garden will certainly be happier! Need to see if the hellebore seeds have split open.

Just looking at the chart makes me happy - was so desperate for rain. At the allotment, we can water to our hearts' content. Going to make some temporary raised bed and sow some seeds. But it's so cold that I had to turn on the heater last night and this morning. Not funny.

Britain goes a whole week without burning coal for electricity for the first time since the start of the Industrial Revolution
  • National Grid says it reflects a growing trend towards use of renewable energy
  • Solar panels are being installed at homes in greater numbers than ever before.
  • The Government plans to phase out Britain's last coal-fired power plants by 2025
  • Coal currently accounts for under 10 per cent of the country's power output
Great news - but people now make drugs in their homes!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I can see myself in this, but I hoard PLANTS, not guns or ammunition

Shocking video shows agents seize more than ONE THOUSAND high-powered rifles from a $7million, five-bedroom mansion in celebrity enclave near Bel Air
  • ATF and LAPD officers confiscated more than 1,000 guns from a wealthy area of Los Angeles
  • Law enforcement officials served a search warrant on a five-bedroom home in Holmby Hills

This is a lovely story

Viewers swoon over 'hedgehog warrior' Brian May as Queen guitarist reveals his backyard haven dedicated to the spiky creatures - which he admits to loving like his children

Lovely children he has on his patch!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
These are supposed to be draping surfinia
SAM_0967.JPG

Already in flower, but seem to be so upright. Stored in workshop and survived the winter!

Suddenly, Rosella Toms have come up strong and happy

SAM_0968.JPG

Love Rosella - Beechgrove retired Jim's favorite and mine too!
SAM_0969.JPG

Some double petunia either pirouette or duo pink! Imagine how a seed has metamorphed into a plant like these!

SAM_0970.JPG

Great expectation for my TUPA and pansy!

Sultan from Sarah R!

SAM_0971.JPG

Lovely achillea from my favorite GC one split into 4 to 6! Well worth the initial £2.99
SAM_0972.JPG

More in my greenhouse ie lean to and I am going to add to the mess!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Went to the allotment and tried to sow some seeds as it was supposed to rain in the afternoon. Caught by the rain and we stayed in the shed which was tiny. Could have stayed in the car. Son rummaged for seeds and found my credit card and bus pass! :joyful: :giggle: What a relief!

My chicks want to say hello

SAM_0989.JPG
SAM_0990.JPG
SAM_0992.JPG
SAM_0993.JPG
SAM_0994.JPG
SAM_0995.JPG
SAM_0996.JPG

They really have grown and they love mealworms. As soon as I walked into the workshop, they knew there would be mealworms treat!

SAM_0979.JPG

SAM_0980.JPG
SAM_0983.JPG

Lavender is very happy!
SAM_0984.JPG
SAM_0985.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0991.JPG
    SAM_0991.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 108
  • SAM_0978.JPG
    SAM_0978.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 97
  • SAM_0981.JPG
    SAM_0981.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 117

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My other orchid.
SAM_0973.JPG
SAM_0974.JPG
SAM_0975.JPG
SAM_0977.JPG

SAM_0976.JPG

Think it looks a bit gross! LOL!

This orchid pot has been treated with nematodes and has not been removed from the spot, unlike the other three greener slipper orchids. Now, all the green orchids are ravaged by slugs and yet this one is perfect!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning and the central heating is on, again! Frustrating! Thought I could get away with it.

So glad that we had some rain even though the butts are not all full. Shouldn't complain as I watched the news and saw the bombings in Syria. A toddler was screaming clinging to his daddy's leg! Bad enough your government bombs some people and you become a collateral, not to mention some alien cesspit stick comes along with power tools! I cry for these people who knew nothing but fear, death and war! Keep safe to all!

I sowed Amaranthus, cucumber, Chinese Leaves (or Chinese Wong Pak i.e yellow and white! What a good name and it's delicious - I hope to make some kimchi), and cupcake (well, I sowed this before and from this exclusive supplier and they all turned out to be ordinary white cosmos. I only realised it when I went to Hyde Hall and saw the real McCoy! I feel bad dissing this company; but as an exclusive supplier, it sent out the wrong seeds! Not to mention my Hellebore growers' Choice breeds which turned out to be wishy washy and reblooming irises Indian Chiefs!)

I made quite a few pickled cabbage, carrots and was surprised at the amount of sugar and salt. I saw a lady teaching a couple to make prickled pointed point cabbage and all she used was salt and there was no sugar. Even my son said the flavour was artificial. I want to make Korean Kimchi as they say the fermentation is good for the gut.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Both Chelsea and Arsenal have made it to the Europa League Final! Brilliant stuff. Please Arsenal, get your act together as you're long overdue for a trophy!

My double petunias have come up very beautifully - strong and big!
SAM_0998.JPG

Sparticus
SAM_0999.JPG
SAM_1000.JPG

I am not sure this is surfinia - not in the posture of a surfer! LOL!
SAM_1001.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Son has assembled these before going to work. The previous owner must have a massive garden as these two were joined together.
SAM_1002.JPG
SAM_1003.JPG
SAM_1010.JPG
SAM_1011.JPG
SAM_1012.JPG
SAM_1013.JPG
SAM_1014.JPG
SAM_1015.JPG
SAM_1016.JPG

Spectacular Sparticus!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to a dry and hopefully, quiet, day!

Yesterday, I sowed more seeds and will do so as soon as the viewing is finished by 4pm. I have more or less stopped looking for houses until I have sold. The more houses I look at, the more I realise that I am looking for a house exactly the same like this existing one! LOL!

I bought 3 packets of water lily seeds from China long time ago and watched some videos on how to prep the seeds. I apparently need to file the seeds which come with very hard skin and that's why they can germinate even after 200 hundred years. The skin was tough and the file pathetic. Very little of the skin had been taken out, but the file nearly took off the skin of my thumb! :inpain::banghead::eek:

Watched GW and was amazed by t he amount of blue Camassias Monty had. I bought quite a few, but, as usual, they are everywhere and they create no impact, but boy, they should be so beautiful, I have some white, and blue ones like his. I'm amazed that his are so early. Mine still wrapped up in buds! :banghead:

About the hen coop, the material is so filmsy. I don't really know how to stop Mr Fox from hurling himself against the grilled panel. I might need some big outside cage. I am going to add another layer of chicken wire to every panel. Baldie has a penchant for lettuce and it's so nice that she would eat from my hand. I think she is not only baldie but broody and I need to act quickly.

A gentleman from freegle promised me some long pieces of wood so that I can make an frame for my vine and a polytunnel. Wish I had an estate car. Going to be stressful taking them back home.

The vibrant colour of my petunia

SAM_1001.JPG

Salvia greggii Mirage™ Cherry Red are flowering. Will upload some photos later if I have time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Love the hens alp, that's a smart little coop and run for them. I told one of my sisters how you got yourself some of those fancy polish birds that I want and they are already laying eggs for you, that made my sister chuckle. This week I found out that if I could get a head doctor to write a letter saying I need a few hens to comfort and calm me, the city would allow it. But no, I can't abuse the system like that, I wouldn't sleep at night.
I enjoy watching youtube videos of you Brits and your allotments.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Johnny, the Polish chicks have been trying something naughty, but I don't even know their sexes and it 's the big yellow hen which lays eggs.

Very sad as I think I killed the useless incubator and son had a real go at me. The eggs were supposed to be hatched in 3 days, but I found the incubator very dry, so I poured water into it and it was too much and son said I burned the motor. Took the eggs to the hen and bribed her with mealworms in order to see if she would sit on them. But no and it actually ate one of the eggs. Any way, I am still being verbally battered by you know who.

No, don't be dishonest. Perhaps move out to the countryside. Only joking! It's such a headache looking at houses. A man came and viewed the house for his parents and I bet the answer is no as his parents need a 2nd downstairs toilet. Simple as.

6 minutes of proper rain and that's the end of my luck. After today, it would be dry for a while. Already it is so hot.

Watched Raymond Blanc and Kew and it was very enjoyable. Now the viewer is gone, I can go sowing. Just got hold of some Strelitzia Reginae Seeds. I have successfully germinated these seeds before, so should be OK.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to a very decent, quiet and bright Sunday!

Nice and ideal for a day in the allotment

I thought this was Camassia, but no Honeybells will be ringing soon!

SAM_1017.JPG

Serrated tulips are on their way out. Sad!
SAM_1018.JPG

Dicentra Spectabilis is blooming
SAM_1019.JPG
SAM_1020.JPG

Cherry Red Mirage Salvia
SAM_1021.JPG

Another Amaryllis, but the SS had a first look!
SAM_1022.JPG
SAM_1024.JPG
SAM_1025.JPG
SAM_1026.JPG

Lagurus Ovatus - haretail grass

My outdoor hardy orchid has a last hurrah! Thrilled to see the flower in hot and droughty East London. Brian in the Beechgrove Garden was planting it next to a stream in Scotland!
SAM_1027.JPG
SAM_1028.JPG
SAM_1029.JPG
SAM_1030.JPG

Primula Auricula

Shame my Primula bulleyana didn't make it.

SAM_1032.JPG

Camassia

SAM_1033.JPG
SAM_1034.JPG

Sweet, sweet surprise! Cucumber made it. Think it is Mr Fothergill's Telepathy F1. Pushed to the extreme corner of one propagator right at the end of the lean to where I couldn't reach easily!
SAM_1035.JPG

Lovely Calibrachoa Starlight Blue, I think! Dainty and yet quietly supporting actor!
SAM_1037.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question