Lilium Stagazer from my late mother

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will try not to give you too much preamble in this.

My late mother was a gifted and passionate gardener. Sadly, I did not inherit her gifted understanding of horticulture, and I'm hoping you fine people may be able to assist me without being too stern on my lack of understanding of this web site, or of plants.

Having done some clearing I have come across a packet of Lilium Stargazer bulbs. Mum died from cancer in 2004, so these would be nearly 9 years old, if not longer.
I'm in the process of helping Dad sell this house ( which excuses the lack of rummaging through various cupboards until now).

They have been kept in their original bag, and in a tall white ( don't think that matters!) plant pot that is around a foot tall, in a cupboard in a large kitchen around 8 foot away from heat and humidity.

Are they far to gone to attempt to grow?

As we're looking to sell the property 2023, will they move well? Should I put in a pot? Is it too late in the year? Do they start inside?

The easier question is probably : 'Are they dead'? In which case, I can take that. I just thought I would ask some people who might know for sure....

With kindest regards for your gentle non judgmental thoughts

Alex McT x

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Alex. :)

Gardening for novices and those who are more experienced is an ongoing subject of learning , so no judgemental thoughts here.

If the bulbs are firm and mould free then there's no reason why you shouldn't plant them to see if they'll grow. Ideally they would be best planted in the ground as they grow tall, but you can put soil or compost in medium sized pots and they will be okay if you want to plant them now. It should tell you on the packet how deep to plant them. If in pots they must be kept frost free so can be over wintered somewhere cool away from heat until next Spring, perhaps a shed, garage or cool porch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much!

Some of the bulbs are a bit ( searching around for technical gardening phrase).... squidgy, but don't appear mouldy. I'll pick out the squidgy ones, and see what happens in the pot mum left them in.

Cool temperature... Garage is a good idea. I'll try to see if I can buy a small amount of compost for the experiment.

Mum was so skilled that she grew orchids from seed. After she passed away, I tried to keep alive a 35 year old cactus grown from seed by over loving it - re potting, feeding and watering too much. After years of being neglected the shock of my over care killed it I think!

Thank you for the advice. I'm wary of posting on these sorts of sites, because sometimes you can get harsh replies. Thank you. I'll try and take photo's if there is any progress. I am fully prepared for my lack of skill to prove the end of them!

How often should I water them? I'm guessing not often over winter, but on the other hand, they have been neglected a long long time...

yours,

Alex McT

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Your mum obviously had green fingers but unfortunately gardening isn't something that is past on genetically, although many would like it to be. It's something that develops over many years of trial and error, patience and the desire to nurture nature.

Cactus are not easy plants to look after, a gift that some have but I don't, so don't worry yourself too much about it's loss.

Don't feed the bulbs unless they develop flower buds next year and water them very sparingly over winter. The soil should be moist at best, not wet and pots should have drainage holes to allow any excess to drain off. In fact I'd be inclined to let the soil almost dry out before watering again. Good luck! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not convinced I have the patience for it. When Mum pointed at something and said 'Alex... Kill', I was quite good at that!

A pot with drainage holes. Throw away the squidgy ones, almost dry out the soil, and keep in the garage. Okay, they are rules I can obey I think.

I managed to inherit my Dad's ability to walk into and fall over almost anything, and not Mum's green finger patience. I'm a blend of their danger and short stature. At least I don't have far to fall at 5 foot 3 :ROFLMAO:

I won't be upset if nothing happens. I just thought if it was worth giving a go I would. It will be nice if it works, but if it doesn't, that's okay too. I have many other positive things I inherited from them both, that I won't worry too much if keeping things alive isn't one of them :)

Thank you x

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
When Mum pointed at something and said 'Alex... Kill', I was quite good at that!

I've been gardening for decades and love growing from seed and cuttings. Give me a houseplant though and it will suffer before it eventually dies. :(

At least I don't have far to fall at 5 foot 3

The best things come in small packages apparently. :)

You may be pleasantly surprised with the bulbs, I hope so. If they come up then perhaps it might spur you on to try other plants and please let me know if they do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting. The 'Norm' is that the L.Stargazer can attain a height of three feet.

Bulbs generally will sprout, whetherornot they are planted. This is enabled due to the stored nutrients etc in the bulb. So if the bulbs were still viable, then it is expected that evidence of such vegative growth would remain. In the event of an un-planted bulb actually producing a stem, foliage and even a flower after years of dormacy is very unlikely.

Ask a Question