Laurel Hedge wind damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have planted a 4 ft Laurel Hedge, all was well until the sever wind's we have just had. All my Laurels are leaning over to one side, some are nearly flat where they have moved and they are also drenched with all the rain. Any idea's on how to stabilise and secure the Laurels and what can I do about the water they are now standing in. I am a complete novice so any suggestions appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear you have had such a problem. There's not much you can do until the rain stops.
They should be OK.
Once the standing water has gone down , replant them, firming them down well. Until they root properly, it might be the best idea to tie each plant to a sturdy stake. It won't look attractive, and you might have to leave them staked for up to a year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya Terry, good to have you on board. This happened to my new hedge as well, so I've just propped them all up again, buried one or two plants a bit deeper, heeled them in real firm, and given them all a good talking to. They'll be fine.
Staking like Sean mentions might well help, and an alternative in windy places could be heavy green shade netting as a windbreak. It's very effective! Once properly established they will look after themselves, once thos roots have got a grip.

Ask a Question