landscaper laid bad sod?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey Chuck. so the sod does look a bit old to you? i'm asking because i want to make sure i didnt get ripped off and if i should pay the landscaper in full amount. he mentioned when he laid it, it was healthy and green which it wasn't. It looked like brownish green. Also, i dont know what fresh sod supposed to look like. Just debating how i should deal with the landscaper!
Fresh cut sod is a vibrant green (or it is supposed to). What happens is, is that the landscaper orders his sod days before installation. Then the night before installation the sod farm cuts out the sod and loads it onto pallets. The landscaper picks it up freshly cut and goes to the job site where the areas where the sod is to be laid is already pre-prepared. The fresh sod is laid, watered in and rolled. Many times the additional compost is an extra charge. You must understand that the landscaper will come back and say "well the grass was brown when I picked it up". And you then say " if you are a professional landscaper you should know what fresh cut grass looks like and if it isn't what I paid for you should never have loaded it up in the first place."

Just document and take pictures so if and when you go to small claims court you have backup. These hack, whack and stack landscapers can be sneaky. Find out where he obtained the sod. Just look in the yellow pages under sod farms. Call them and find out if he bought from them and when and when he picked it up. Sod farms have a lot more to lose than a landscaper when it comes to selling sod. If they get a bad name they are out of business whereas a so called landscaper just goes to the next ill informed customer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
My grass, watered regularly will freakishly brown in weird places on occassion. Im not ready yet to blame your landscaper for neglect or dishonesty but if it does worry you, call him! Ask him where he got the sod, and again..why is it brown. He should be knowlegeable about it and give you the answers you need.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My grass, watered regularly will freakishly brown in weird places on occassion. Im not ready yet to blame your landscaper for neglect or dishonesty but if it does worry you, call him! Ask him where he got the sod, and again..why is it brown. He should be knowlegeable about it and give you the answers you need.
Thanks Kathyn! i asked him. he said when he laid it. it was fresh Healthy green which is not true at all. Thats why i'm a bit concerned since he didnt say it is brown but will turn green. He just said it was my mistake for not watering the day of. However, the sod did not look green and more like dull color and been in the sun to begin with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If he lied to you once you can be sure he will in the future. What did you actually pay for? It should be written on the estimate or contract exactly what was to be performed and if it wasn't ..........................that's up to you

Reaction score
Country
United States
If he lied to you once you can be sure he will in the future. What did you actually pay for? It should be written on the estimate or contract exactly what was to be performed and if it wasn't ..........................that's up to you
Everything as performed. I just have a problem with the sod and felt it wasn't fresh like it should be. My husband is upset because he does not want to pay for crappy sod. Like i mentioned, i'm not sure what normal sod is supposed to look like but it was def not fresh green like he mentioned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
You be dealing with an AH. What you do now is up to you. Such is life..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
Thanks Kathyn! i asked him. he said when he laid it. it was fresh Healthy green which is not true at all. Thats why i'm a bit concerned since he didnt say it is brown but will turn green. He just said it was my mistake for not watering the day of. However, the sod did not look green and more like dull color and been in the sun to begin with.

He may not have provided "superbowl quality" sod, but if you have a good substrate under it, it should bounce back good with consistent water. Its disappointing now, I know, but imagine how you will feel when it takes hold and turns green. Your sod is not completely dead, just a little stressed, or so the small pic seemed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Everything as performed. I just have a problem with the sod and felt it wasn't fresh like it should be. My husband is upset because he does not want to pay for crappy sod. Like i mentioned, i'm not sure what normal sod is supposed to look like but it was def not fresh green like he mentioned.
As long as it is rolled and watered frequently it should be OK in time. But I will say this. If that sod you showed in the pics was what it looked like at laying then you got ripped off

Reaction score
Country
United States
Landscaper has threaten to report me to collection. I'm going to pay just to get it over with. It's not worth all this headache. Thanks everyone

Ask a Question