Just joined up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You're most welcome Micky.

Good question about the weather; I've stated before I have a constant companion in Blackie my big black cloud always kindly keeping the dust down; amazingly Blackie must have gone on holiday with Hail and Gale for the last two days; I was getting extremely worried about a water shortage after two days without rain but fortunately Blackie returned during last night; as I looked out of the kitchen window first thing this morning everything was soaking wet so all is back to normal; it's the usual black hole as I type but the sun is daring to push through and its not raining.

I've been so fed up of traipsing about in the wet garden in my safety shoes I've now cut my Wellingtons down to boot height and am now wearing these; I've owned the wellies for many years but never liked them because they rubbed my skinny legs sore; wearing my safety shoes I used to leave a trail of mud across the patio; now I visit the hut in safety shoes but then change to the wellies so Blackie can carry on soaking me but no more mud trails to our rear door; cracked it at last. By the way Micky; I tend to ramble on but the members on here are a forgiving bunch. (y)

WOW; the sun has just burst through I'd better get my welding helmet out?

Kind regards, Colin
Been a lovely day here down south Colin ..and again tomorrow .. I even cut the lawn .. I’m having a new fence and trellis fitted next Wednesday and I have plans to grow Clematis and climbing roses on it , but I won’t start that until April as anything planted at this time of the year will not grow as the ground is cooling down ..but it’s something to look forward to in April

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been a lovely day here down south Colin ..and again tomorrow .. I even cut the lawn .. I’m having a new fence and trellis fitted next Wednesday and I have plans to grow Clematis and climbing roses on it , but I won’t start that until April as anything planted at this time of the year will not grow as the ground is cooling down ..but it’s something to look forward to in April[/QUOTE]

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Today turned out fine after all here Micky after a wet start allowing me to dig up more roots in peace.

Below is our latest forecast for the next five days; please see near bottom; West Yorkshire warning; this is because I live in West Yorkshire with my constant cloud and companion Blackie; I'm sure if Bron and I moved into the middle of a desert there would be a flood. We live very near The Pennines so as also seen below more persistent and heavy rain at times from midnight; looks like another wet start tomorrow. I'm looking forward to global warming but its so far been cancelled for Yorkshire.

Good luck with your new fence & trellis for next Wednesday. Up here we can expect to still see snow in April.

Kind regards, Colin.

upload_2017-10-10_19-33-32.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Today turned out fine after all here Micky after a wet start allowing me to dig up more roots in peace.

Below is our latest forecast for the next five days; please see near bottom; West Yorkshire warning; this is because I live in West Yorkshire with my constant cloud and companion Blackie; I'm sure if Bron and I moved into the middle of a desert there would be a flood. We live very near The Pennines so as also seen below more persistent and heavy rain at times from midnight; looks like another wet start tomorrow. I'm looking forward to global warming but its so far been cancelled for Yorkshire.

Good luck with your new fence & trellis for next Wednesday. Up here we can expect to still see snow in April.

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 28277

UK Overnight
Very wet and windy in the northwest. Dry overnight elsewhere.

Heavy rain and strong winds will move from northwest Scotland into southwest Scotland, Northern Ireland, north Wales and northwest England overnight. The rest of England will stay mostly dry and breezy, along with eastern parts of Wales and Scotland.

Batton down the hatches Colin .. if it gets much worse up there let me know as I have an address of your local soup kitchen and they take Luncheon vouchers ☔

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Micky(y) Its A Great forum for Garden Talk & if the weather is getting the better of you there are members far away that can tell you where the sun is;) when its raining up north:) Have fun

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Micky(y) Its A Great forum for Garden Talk & if the weather is getting the better of you there are members far away that can tell you where the sun is;) when its raining up north:) Have fun
.....Edit I'm guessing your south UK like me so maybe only raining weekends:D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
.....Edit I'm guessing your south UK like me so maybe only raining weekends:D
Thanks Daren, yes no rain today thankfully, in fact it really quite warm this morning ..have a nice day

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

UK Overnight
Very wet and windy in the northwest. Dry overnight elsewhere.

Heavy rain and strong winds will move from northwest Scotland into southwest Scotland, Northern Ireland, north Wales and northwest England overnight. The rest of England will stay mostly dry and breezy, along with eastern parts of Wales and Scotland.

Batton down the hatches Colin .. if it gets much worse up there let me know as I have an address of your local soup kitchen and they take Luncheon vouchers ☔

Many thanks for your kind offer Micky; the way things are going I might accept it. Gale force wind this morning and Blackie my pet cloud has just joined in so once again we've got horizontal rain. Just returning home in the Yeti an overhead pterodactyl bombed the windscreen making a right mess; can it get any worse; I think it can and it will; possibly when I head up the garden after dinner to dig out more roots. :(

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks for your kind offer Micky; the way things are going I might accept it. Gale force wind this morning and Blackie my pet cloud has just joined in so once again we've got horizontal rain. Just returning home in the Yeti an overhead pterodactyl bombed the windscreen making a right mess; can it get any worse; I think it can and it will; possibly when I head up the garden after dinner to dig out more roots. :(

Kind regards, Colin.
It’s been damn windy here as we’ll Colin.. we have been looking after my daughters 2 dogs today .. had a lovely day .. I love the doggies .. what roots are you excavating, seems your always digging something up .. hope your back holds up .. this is one of her doggies
9D5F5713-1B44-4112-B338-7AA436ECAC0C.jpeg

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Lovely dog Micky. (y)

Thanks for asking; yes I'm in demolition mode digging lots of stuff up and shredding etc before starting to replant with our choice not retain the plants we inherited when we moved in 30 years ago. I've just got around to remodelling the gardens and its hard graft. Mostly Snowberry but mixed with brambles and holly also I'm pulling up thick rope which is mile a minute vine. I can't crack on with the job because of our constant dire climate working between downpours of rain and wind; when it's not raining the wind is rattling the branches overhead so it might as well carry on raining. I'm considering buying a deep sea diver's suit and compressor; the suit will then keep me dry and the weighted boots will prevent the wind blowing me over; digging up endless stumps; roots and stones isn't my idea of fun but the weather is really giving me an hard time.

A lot of the time I'm finding it easier to crouch down and slice with the spade excavating to a spade depth then I pull out all the roots and stones; if I knelt down I'd be scared of my knees rooting. I'll win though because I'm stubborn. :mad:

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5781064F-B99F-483B-B81D-03ADF21FCA3F.jpeg
Hi Colin another warm and mild day here and the sun ⛅️ is shining bright .. have just taken a few snaps of parts of my garden .. maybe you can worry some of those obstinate roots out today .. take a deep breath

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Micky; great picture with plenty of autumn colour. Bron and I have just returned from Boots in Meadowhall with new glasses each but after dinner I'll definitely be attacking more roots; not many more roots left to dig up but then I can continue riving the English Ivy out which is taking over or so it thinks. ;)

Looking out at 7 o'clock this morning into the doom and gloom it had just started raining AGAIN. Amazingly as I type the wind and rain have quit so I might be able to get up the mountain after dinner without having to nail my cap on or get another soaking. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
C5FCC793-36F1-47C8-B242-89A50D24C175.jpeg
Perfect day here again Colin , being spoilt rotten down South ..really warm and sunny .. hey if you really have to nail your cap on I advise hardboard clout nails .. as won’t enter in too far .. ( just saying ) California poppies still blooming like mad .. they think it’s still summertime

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
:eek::D

Ask a Question