JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've got the Springtime blues. Everything was normal last week, but I could tell things were changing. It all started when I walked out into my garden and noticed my Wild Lupine blooming.

IMG_2636 copy.jpg

As if that weren't enough, Spiderwort started blooming the same day.
IMG_2639 copy.jpg

Then, over by my pond, Blue-eyed Grass and Blue Flag Iris started blooming.
IMG_2613 copy.jpg

IMG_2626 copy.jpg

I've got the Springtime blues, and they're bound to last for at least a few more weeks.

(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was worried when I saw your title! Glad to see you've got 'happy blues'. The iris is spectacular! :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The pollinators are sure loving the Spring-time blues, as well!
I'm seeing more bee activity now than I have since last Summer!

IMG_2689 copy.jpg

IMG_2697 copy1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Beautiful! I have some salvia, and just today scored a bunch more off a job that I'll be planting. Not sure if that's native (think it is, haven't looked it up) but the honeybees sure like it.

My blue flag iris is about to pop any day.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Beautiful! I have some salvia, and just today scored a bunch more off a job that I'll be planting. Not sure if that's native (think it is, haven't looked it up) but the honeybees sure like it.

My blue flag iris is about to pop any day.

Salvia species are also popular with Bumble Bees. You'd have to know what kind it is to know if it's native. There is quite a few native species, but also many non-natives that get used in gardens here in the US.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pretty sure it is native to this region. I got them from a local garden center that is big on labeling/selling native plants that attract pollinators so I know that is what I would have chosen.

And they may be bumblebees. They are fuzzy.

I'm mildly freaked out by bees and wasps (was very badly swarmed and stung by a hive as a kid) but I've mostly taught myself to be ok with the non-stinging kinds. Wasps are assholes and scare me still. Carpenter and bumble bees I'm ok with because I know they very rarely sting and if they do it barely hurts. Other bees and yellow and black insects, I just can't relax around.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm mildly freaked out by bees and wasps (was very badly swarmed and stung by a hive as a kid) but I've mostly taught myself to be ok with the non-stinging kinds. Wasps are assholes and scare me still. Carpenter and bumble bees I'm ok with because I know they very rarely sting and if they do it barely hurts. Other bees and yellow and black insects, I just can't relax around.

The vast majority of native bees are smaller than european honey bees and don't form colonies, thus have no reason to attack. As far as native bees go, you're generally safe. Just don't let wasps and european honey bees control your way of thinking towards native bees.

I get painful bites from flies frequently and stung by bees almost never (I've only been stung by honey bees and yellow jackets)... yet so many people are scared of bees! :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh, I try, after all I plant things that attract bees! And I strongly oppose the use of pesticides (except in the case of fleas and such.) Though I admit I can't tell the difference between native bees and others. But I can identify carpenter bees and bumblebees and of course various types of wasps.

I work outside a lot (painting contractor) so I encounter more than the average person. I've gotten lots better about my mild phobia, I was eight when I was swarmed and stung all over. For years I couldn't even look at photos of bees without getting freaked out.

Ask a Question