It's been a bleak week, BUT.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't KNOW for sure, GW...... Chuck says it does and I kinda lean toward experience talkin'. Too, just knowing earthworms love it is reason enough for me to give it a shot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Cornmeal feeds a group of fungi called trichoderma. Trichoderma eats other fungi such as some of the types that cause damping off. Cornmeal is food for biogical warfare fungi-style, the trick being trichoderma does not hurt the plant. It is capable of being in a symbiotic relationship with a plant, even being an endophyte, which is being inside the root rather than outside.

From the Wiki:
Several strains of Trichoderma have been developed as biocontrol agents against fungal diseases of plants.[7] The various mechanisms include antibiosis, parasitism, inducing host-plant resistance, and competition. Most biocontrol agents are from the species T. asperellum, T. harzianum, T. viride and T. hamatum. The biocontrol agent generally grows in its natural habitat on the root surface, and so affects root disease in particular, but can also be effective against foliar diseases.

The Trichi Wiki

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Will polenta/cornmeal help suppress slugs/snails? Will cornmeal kill off good fungi, @DirtMechanic ?
I suspect the best way to use cornmeal for slugs is to use it with beer, which you may also enjoy as you pick the slugs by hand.

And trichoderma IS a good fungi, so no.

You know better than anyone that if one throws a garden party, one surely is benefitted by knowing who is on the guest list! As a good garden party host, one could leave some beer for those attending that you did not get to meet personally!:hungover:

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Millionaire, 58, added £100,000 to his luxury £1.2m Sandbanks holiday home's value by butchering two protected trees in his back garden to increase the natural light on his patio, court hears
  • Trevor Beale is accused of hacking two 60ft Scots Pines
  • His £1.2m five-bedroom house is rented out for £4,800 per week in the summer
  • Defence argue the increase in value is a 'drop in the ocean' for Beale
  • He has pleaded guilty to two charges of contravening tree preservation rules

So roadrunner, you might have unknowingly added value to your house!

Mind you, the light level in this country is feeble compared with that in your country!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect the best way to use cornmeal for slugs is to use it with beer, which you may also enjoy as you pick the slugs by hand.

And trichoderma IS a good fungi, so no.

You know better than anyone that if one throws a garden party, one surely is benefitted by knowing who is on the guest list! As a good garden party host, one could leave some beer for those attending that you did not get to meet personally!:hungover:

Quite funny, DM!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, it's February 17........of course.... it's SUPPOSED to be 80°. So the "winter" got cleared outta the greenhouse and moved ALMOST all of the seedlings to it. For the next 2 weeks, the temps are PREDICTED to stay in the spring range......It's only 3 weeks and 2 days until the "last" frost date.....It's been a good day, Tater.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well, it's February 17........of course.... it's SUPPOSED to be 80°. So the "winter" got cleared outta the greenhouse and moved ALMOST all of the seedlings to it. For the next 2 weeks, the temps are PREDICTED to stay in the spring range......It's only 3 weeks and 2 days until the "last" frost date.....It's been a good day, Tater.....View attachment 49998View attachment 49999
I cleaned up my shop today and was asking Becky what she did with my grow lights. Just letting her know it is that time again. Our trilliums are popping out of the ground and that is a sure sign of spring around here.

G.W

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cornmeal feeds a group of fungi called trichoderma. Trichoderma eats other fungi such as some of the types that cause damping off. Cornmeal is food for biogical warfare fungi-style, the trick being trichoderma does not hurt the plant. It is capable of being in a symbiotic relationship with a plant, even being an endophyte, which is being inside the root rather than outside.

From the Wiki:
Several strains of Trichoderma have been developed as biocontrol agents against fungal diseases of plants.[7] The various mechanisms include antibiosis, parasitism, inducing host-plant resistance, and competition. Most biocontrol agents are from the species T. asperellum, T. harzianum, T. viride and T. hamatum. The biocontrol agent generally grows in its natural habitat on the root surface, and so affects root disease in particular, but can also be effective against foliar diseases.

The Trichi Wiki
Greeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaat Information.......will definitely use that this year in my garden!

Ask a Question