It's been a bleak week, BUT.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
.....we are less than 6 weeks away from our last frost date....the silver lining to an otherwise rainy, dreary, sunless week. Yesterday, pre-moistened and sterilized the seed starting mix with boiling water, snipped off two drain holes on the bottom of the cups then filled the cups (after it cooled down) and set them on the seed heat mats, overnight, to warm the mixture. This morning, planted yellow squash, zucchini, bush type watermelon, pablano peppers and a butt-load (25) Emerald okra. Yep.....the "season" has begun in Dothan, Alabama.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
.....we are less than 6 weeks away from our last frost date....the silver lining to an otherwise rainy, dreary, sunless week. Yesterday, pre-moistened and sterilized the seed starting mix with boiling water, snipped off two drain holes on the bottom of the cups then filled the cups (after it cooled down) and set them on the seed heat mats, overnight, to warm the mixture. This morning, planted yellow squash, zucchini, bush type watermelon, pablano peppers and a butt-load (25) Emerald okra. Yep.....the "season" has begun in Dothan, Alabama.View attachment 49384
I have been waiting for you to wave the green flag! I managed to aquire 4 seed mats and I was waiting because I hear they really take off compared to they would in my garage. I think our frost date is a week after yours but I am going to follow ground temps this year, not in a big hurry except I want a little play in case we have a patch of stormy weather I may want to beat to the finish or let it slide on by the garden. Plus my garden is still full from this winter. I want to see how the mature overwintered plants take me into spring warmth. The peas should ignite.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Peas are dying so did another sowing today.

Beetroot is up :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
1 week in.......it's been EXACTLY 7 days since I planted the seeds. HAD to transplant 30 into bigger peat pots with good quality potting soil, as some, ESPECIALLY the yellow squash, were already filling the cups with roots. I tell ya what.....indoor lights WITH seed heat mats is the cat's meow.....

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking good David :)

Had some damping off fungus on my leeks, so sprinkled some cornmeal on the surface.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looking good David :)

Had some damping off fungus on my leeks, so sprinkled some cornmeal on the surface.

View attachment 49673
Thanks, Zigs....but, not expecting "things" to be happening this FAST (first experience using a seed heat mat) means I have went from gardening in a row boat to gardening in a jet powered cigar boat......WITHOUT a life jacket or navigator.........Hope the cornmeal "does the job" for you.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
.....we are less than 6 weeks away from our last frost date..... This morning, planted yellow squash, zucchini, bush type watermelon, pablano peppers and a butt-load (25) Emerald okra. Yep.....the "season" has begun in Dothan, Alabama.

Interesting on starting the okra and water melon. I usually don't start those until night time temps are regularly in the '70's. Curious why so early on those? Just curious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
When our soil is 70, the next level up is brutal heat that impedes growth. Better to have mature plants by then. Our worst month is probably late June, early July. This year summer solstice is June 21 so -3 +3 weeks either side.

Ask a Question