Is This Normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It depends on several things, temperature, soft or woody, wet or dry etc., but yes, soft stuff that gets warm in a black bin is really quick.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well most of this is Chicken Manuer in an open Bin and it really hasn't been warm.

But I do understand that Chicken Manuer can generate its own heat being heavy in Nitrogen.

I know the other day I put a bunch in one Bin and it has broken down to about a third of what it was.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you meant to type in "manure."

You can easily make a 14-day compost, using high-in-nitogen material (green horse manure, fresh chicken droppings) plus green waste plus brown materials (paper, old leaves, cardboard) plus kitchen scraps. It's amazing how quickly things can break down ---- and with all of the sow bugs, earwigs, ants and other critters helping it along.

Typically, you turn the 14-day compost pile every 3rd day and make sure things are kept damp, but not too moist. As Oliver Buckle pointed out --- unless you have sticks and other hard/harder to break down items ---- 14 days is just about all you need to achieve maixmum compostedness. (I made up that word "compostedness." Ha.) If you're not turning the compost contents, things could take a bit longer.

Ask a Question