Normal? New Leaf Stems & Suckers Growing Out of Tomato Clusters

Reaction score
Country
United States
Starting in 2019, I noticed that tomato clusters on my indeterminate tomato plants were growing leaf stems at the ends of the clusters (not all, but many).
This was new to me in 2019 or at least I never noticed it before. This happened on a few varieties (German Johnson, Hungarian Heart, Amish Paste - all heirloom).

Now this year, I see the same happeneing on a new type of indeterminate I'm growing called San Marzano II. But not only do I have leaf stems growing at the ends of clusters, but also suckers.

Is this normal?

The leaf stems do not concern me but the sucks do. I'm going to be removing the suckers as I'm thinking they will require too many nutrients and the clusters they grow out of may not be able to grow/ripen the tomatoes very well. Besides I doubt I could get ripe tomatoes from them by the end of the season anyway

Here's one with just a leaf stem growing out of the cluster...

BoVfx64.jpg

Here's another where you can see a new leaf stem growing and possibly also a sucker...

EieGjDy.jpg

And here's another which has both a leaf stem and a sucker growing and the suck has already formed it's own cluster.
Here's a closeup of where the new growth branches off from the cluster (sorry, a bit blurry)...

dUdRhCp.jpg

And here's where you can see the end of the cluster growing a leaf stem (right) and the sucker growing it's own cluster (left)...

Hde2LRQ.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've grown several varieties of tomatoes and that happens. I don't know why. I usually just nip the stem off past the tomato cluster but I prune my tomatoes. Some people don't prune. It will turn into a growing stem with suckers of its own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So here is a thought for you to consider. We rarely allow indeterminate vines to grow along the ground as they would naturally. What is odd is our various and ingenious cages, strings and other mechanical help. An indeterminate vine would take root in many places were it not our habit to restrict the plant to one root system and call pinching off topside growth to balance the flow from those roots normal.

Ask a Question