Odd Black pine seedling (is this normal?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I was wondering if this is normal or not. I've had 2 black pine seeds sprout while I had them in the fridge, now they're sprouted I've read they need to be kept warm so I've put them in an airing cupboard.

The true leaves havent developed yet and one of the shoot stems has split near the top into 5 mini stems... is this normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
16419932341228085596915962928482.jpg

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The taller one is developing it's true leaves, pine needles.
These are Scots Pine seedlings
1642059206525.png

Also
One thing to watch in the airing cupboard is light, they will need light to develop. I would be inclined to stand on a south facing windowsill in a cool room where I could monitor growth and water as necessary.
I am assuming Black Pine = Pinus nigra, there are other pines called black pines would expect to be similar in requirements.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The first leaves you see on your seedlings are the primordial cotyledons or 'seed leaves'. They are not branching stems. Unlike flowering plants that usually produce one or two cotyledons, conifers produce a variable number of cotyledons in a whorl.

In the case of pines (Pinus spp.), the cotyledons will be followed first by solitary juvenile true leaves and then a bit later by leaves arranged in fascicled bundles of two to five leaves. This is the situation seen on sapling andmature pine trees, except for Pinus monophylla.

The name Black Pine might refer to the European Black Pine (Pinus nigra), the Japanese Black Pine (Pinus thunbergii), or another species.
Do you know the exact identity of your pines seedlings?

Both Pinus nigra and P. thunbergii are two-needled 'hard' pines in Subgenus Pinus, Section Pinus, Subsection Pinus.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, thank you so much for your replies. You've definitely put my mind at ease. I thought the stem was splitting. It is the Japanese Pinus thunbergii. I got it the seeds with a bonsai kit.

So an update, I've taken it out of the airing cupboard because of the low light and placed it onto the window sill. It was so cold in my room which is why I thought the cupboard was good, but I've had the heating on the last few days and we've had some night bright days.

I did think the 'bulb' on the end was where I was going to see the leaves sprouting though... Will the shoots be the future branches when it grows?

Attachments

• 20220116_104001.jpg
    20220116_104001.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
Country
United States
I did think the 'bulb' on the end was where I was going to see the leaves sprouting though... Will the shoots be the future branches when it grows?
The bulbous object is the testa (seed coat) . It will eventually fall off of its own accord. It is considered best to not remove it earlier as it may contain nutrients and otherwise protect the seedling. The seedlings are not branching yet. On there own it would be awhile before they do, probably two or three years from now. To encourage early branching, you can pinch out the growing tip, but don't do that yet. Wait until the seedling has grown larger and produced a number of true leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bulbous object is the testa (seed coat) . It will eventually fall off of its own accord. It is considered best to not remove it earlier as it may contain nutrients and otherwise protect the seedling. The seedlings are not branching yet. On there own it would be awhile before they do, probably two or three years from now. To encourage early branching, you can pinch out the growing tip, but don't do that yet. Wait until the seedling has grown larger and produced a number of true leaves.
Thank you. I'll just leave it where it is and keep an eye on the water. The book that I have says to plant it in a bigger pot once the seedlings reach the top of the cup.
Today, I can see the other seedling splitting at the end too, so it's good that both are doing the same thing :)

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you were trying to preserve the tap root it is good to repot and plant outwhile the seedling is small, but as these are intended for Bonsai the tap root itself will eventually be pruned back. I would do this at the same time I first pinch the branch tips.

Ask a Question