Is this butternut squash successfully pollinated?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You're right. I see some weird mildew-like thing on the edges of the leaves. I also got 2 mushroom like things pop up from the soil.

Thank you both.
Don't worry about about the mushrooms. They are good guys.
If you have neem oil spray with that. If you have hydrogen peroxide spray with that. Dilute with whole milk and spray with that. Get some copper based fungicide and use that and pray for some dry sunny weather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I sprayed it with neem oil spray earlier today. I also have hydrogen peroxide. Should I combine neem with hydrogen peroxide?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I sprayed it with neem oil spray earlier today. I also have hydrogen peroxide. Should I combine neem with hydrogen peroxide?
No. Let the neem work for 4 or 5 days. Then peroxide them. Let that sit for 2 days and reapply neem. Once mildew gets established it is impossible to cure. If you haven't already place mulch under your plants as to keep the leaves drier and the soil off of them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok. I'll lower the water amount. Thank you. :)
You cannot overwater a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often. When you water complete saturate the soil deeply and then do not water again until the plant needs it. You will know when the plant needs to be watered is when the plant is wilted or droopy in the MORNING. Wilting is normal and expected in the afternoon heat and does NOT mean the plant needs water. And this applies to all plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thank you so much! I just realized I made a mistake by giving it more water because of wilting at the afternoon. I'm going to adjust the sprinkler to twice a week because my plants are never wilted, but are showing signs of too much water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you so much! I just realized I made a mistake by giving it more water because of wilting at the afternoon. I'm going to adjust the sprinkler to twice a week because my plants are never wilted, but are showing signs of too much water.
By stressing plants it makes them want to reproduce more, tomatoes especially. By withholding water it will make them think that they need to do something and that something is to set fruits which is how they reproduce. Twice a week watering is still too much. A once every 7-10 days complete soaking is more than enough

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Done. My sprinkler is set to once a week. I'm going to start with 15 minutes a week, and adjust things as needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
New question:

Remember how I said all the flowers ended up shriveling up and died? Well now I see a bunch of new female flowers with not a single male on the plant? I know that butternut squashes are annuals and will die once producing. Is this the end of the plant? Will it still go on and produce both flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
New question:

Remember how I said all the flowers ended up shriveling up and died? Well now I see a bunch of new female flowers with not a single male on the plant? I know that butternut squashes are annuals and will die once producing. Is this the end of the plant? Will it still go on and produce both flowers.
I will make a LOT more blooms, both male and female. And a squash doesn,t die after it produces. It stops producing when it freezes or when the fruit is allowed to stay on the plant too long

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thank you. I feel calm now. I was worried it would die. Lets say I don't let the fruits stay too long, and the winters aren't cold at all. Will they produce for years to come? I have always thought of squash as annuals.

Ask a Question