Growing butternut squash in containers...size?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I want to grow some nice winter squash. What's the minimum amount of gallons necessary for the container?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I want to grow some nice winter squash. What's the minimum amount of gallons necessary for the container?
First of all you grow "winter" squash at the same time you grow summer squash. It just takes them longer to mature. One of those large pots you have will be ok for 1 plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
It doesn't get too cold here so I'm guessing my winter is your summer? Can't I just overwinter it or is it best to just start in the spring?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It doesn't get too cold here so I'm guessing my winter is your summer? Can't I just overwinter it or is it best to just start in the spring?
Daytime light length is very important. In the winter, yours and mine, day length is limited. All you will do is grow foliage. If by some chance you do get a viable fruit it will not grow to maturity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ooops, guess I did not know that trick! I just started pumpkins and butternut squash. They are off to a slow start, but I guess we will just wait and see!

Ask a Question