Is This A Pipe Dream?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thinking of using my Greenhouse year round with Shade Cloth, Fans and a Heater.

Thinking of raising some vegetables, starting Plants, have some to sell and have Tropicals like Banana Trees, Lemon Tree, Palm Tree and Pineapple.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm wondering. I've got some LED lights to supplement on the sunshine.

And have Fans to move the air around.

Going to fix up Black Barrels with water and fish to help warm the place and water with.

Plan on getting a Greenhouse Heater. Have a Propane Heater but was told it wouldn't work and they had a valid reason.

The way the weather is I can almost grow year round without a Greenhouse.

Got several Tropical Plants to do something with.

Figured this would be much easier to heat than a plastic one.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't have a Southern Widow and bring several plants in but I'm using LED's and they run $100 a watt to buy so I have already invested $3,000 on lights to use in the Winter yes I still use some year round.

Like I say I've already bought LED'S for the Greenhouse and run Water and Electric there.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I might as well ask on heat like I say another group told me no on Propane on heat they use wood but o longer have Fans to circulate the air.

I found an Electric Heater for Greenhouse with Thermostat so it won't run all the time.

Hopping the Barrels will draw heat during the day and release it at night.

Thinking of using Bubble Wrap Insulation on the bottom. I asked my wife about putting regular Bubble Wrap up over panels but she is saying it will be too hard.

Any other ideas?

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are going to make a whopping great big headache for yourself here. Big ideas, and would be great if they worked, but a huge waste of money and time otherwise.
Generally speaking, us gardeners have to come to terms with the fact that it is far better to work along WITH nature rather than beat it. There are loads of jobs to do in the winter without giving yourself problems.
I have tried using bubble wrap on my own greenhouses before they were all removed - it has to be the heavy duty double walled stuff which cost a small fortune, and making 1 - 2 degrees difference really didn't help at all. The stuff has to be replaced every year as well as it disintegrates once the sun shines on it. You would be best off finding a good book and an arm chair by the fire when winter returns ;)
Is your birthday soon? I bet you're a Gemini...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well we decided to move Tropicals into the house and put Grow Lights on them.

Still going to have many plants in the Greenhouse she said most should be ok because every so often they would be in a unheated room.

Got a nice Heater just have to get my wife to run 220.

big rockpile

Ask a Question