Locating underground sprinkler pipes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I have recently moved to a new house (Chicago suburbs) and noticed that our sump-pump drainage line is not properly installed and is leaking as well.

Before starting to install the new drainage line, I called a company (named Julie, also referred to as 811) and they came and marked buried utility and electric lines... so far so good.

my only problem is that I need to find out where the sprinkler lines are. could you please advise how to locate sprinkler pipes?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You may laugh at this but what about water diviners? They've been used in my garden to trace the water main. They also work on oil pipes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have seen electricians use a vacuum to draw a very tiny umbrella attached to a string through a pipe. They then attached increasingly heavy pulling rope and culminated in drawing through a bundle of wire using soap as a lubricant and a winch called a wire puller. If you could get 1 wire and especially if you get a voltage on it, then many sensors can read it underground. Wires are sometimes left in a pipe ditch for location, but you might even be able to leave a single strand inside for future purposes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You may laugh at this but what about water diviners? They've been used in my garden to trace the water main. They also work on oil pipes.
I am assuming that sprinkler pipes are plastic. do water diviners work on plastic or just metal? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sprinkler lines are plastic and at the most white PVC. Smaller ones a thin black typicially 1/2 or 3/4 inch. They are so easy to repair it's hardly worth all the effort to try to locate them ahead of time. Plus they will be very shallow since they are drained in winter.

Ask a Question