Is something wrong with this tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So I planted this a few months ago and some of the leaves are tearing. I have been watering it every day. Is there anything i can do to fix this?
1460645312791522511579.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Looks like Bird of Paradise to me also. Bird of Paradise can actually be quite drought tolerant, but with many plants some water will make it grow, bloom a little better. They usually bloom twice, once in spring and once towards fall. It's ok the let it dry out completely, even for most of the time. Infrequent but deep watering once every couple weeks or so in spring (if little - no rain) and fall (if little - no rain) will provide a little better bloom. Let it dry out (the soil) before it's watered each time. Watch how it responses and get a feel for what works, but no need to keep moist or water frequently. I would move the rock off the base just a little also.

Oh and a little 10-10-10 organic water soluble as spring and fall approach and through blooming works or a single time release applied just before spring and just before fall. The time release will require watering to be effective.

There is one in my backyard that is pretty large for a regular 6'x6' or so, it was here when we moved in. I neglected it for years (0 water and I live in S West also) and it did ok. Now I tend to it a little here and there and it does well. I thin it (the stalks) every year and they can be divided. Mine is big, established and in hard dirt so I just let it be. The are a beautiful plant with a little tending and the flowers can be cut. the cut flowers also or in an arrangement are very beautiful.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Bird of paradise -- a topical plant with flowers that look like birds. Some tips which help you to grow your Bird of paradise in a healthier way. Provide bird of paradise with some afternoon shade to protect it from the hottest part of the day, especially in areas with sultry summers. A nearby shrub, tree, fence or wall can give the plants shade. Grow bird of paradise in soil that drains well. Root rot can occur if the soil retains too much water. For a potted plant, use a high-quality potting mix. Outdoors, incorporate 2 or 3 inches of compost into the soil at planting time. Move a container-grown bird of paradise indoors before the first expected frost date in your area. Ideally, move a potted bird of paradise indoors before temperatures drop below 50 or 60 degrees Fahrenheit. On frosty nights, insert three or four tall stakes around an outdoor plant and drape a sheet over the top so it touches the ground but does not touch the plant. Remove the sheet in the morning. If you see a lot of pests, treat before they do significant damage. Insecticidal soaps work well but make sure you apply it to the undersides of the leaves, as insects tend to gather there. Remove plant debris under a bird of paradise to help keep insects at bay.

Ask a Question