Something wrong with my Dahlia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I bought this plant 6th of March. My brother noticed that the flower looks weak but I didn't bother listening as the seller told me that when it hits the sun the flower will rise up. Nothing has changed and what's worse, I think it's dying :( I didn't use any fertilizers and I've been watering it everyday. It's located in our balcony where it gets direct sunlight but I've moved it to the shaded part yesterday as I thought maybe it doesn't like direct sunlight. (I've already cut the dried leaves, can I put them in my compost?)
IMG_20160313_153357.jpg IMG_20160313_153412.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is the problem, watering every day. The first pic shows the classic symptoms of overwatering, the yellowing and browning of the leaf margins and tip, and finally the dried , curled up dead leaf. When you water saturate the soil and then let it dry out. In a pot that size you shouldn't water more than once every 7 - 10 days. You cannot hurt a plant with overwatering but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Are there holes in the bottom of the pot because it is quite apparent as @Chuck said that it is over-watering. You want the water to drain through the bottom. If there are no holes you don't need to water for about a week to a week and a half.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It may be pot bound, if so with too much water and no room to grow it makes for a very unhappy Dahlia, if it was me I would move it into a large pot and water less.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Yes, it does have a hole in the pot. It drains well whenever I tried watering it. I think I should move it to a larger pot with less water soon. Hopefully I'll be able to revive this beauty... Thanks guys!!

Reaction score
March 6? I turned 29 that day ;) Glad to hear you got the help you needed, please keep us posted :) I'd love to see new pictures of your Dahlia already fully recovered :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a beautiful color dahlia flower! Here in Michigan, I saw them in garden and they direct afternoon sunlight. I also think they are pot bound. Maybe you can give it a bigger pot to have room to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
When you change the pot, you could try to add some "slow liberation" flower fertilizer. It comes in the form of small pebbles that you just pour in the pot in small quantities.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@Trellum You have the same birthday as my brother (y)

@IcyBC Thank you. I've repotted my dahlia to a bigger pot so hopefully I'll be able to revive it.

@fuumarumota Oh, yes I think I have those. It was given to me but I've no idea how to use it :LOL: Since I've already moved my dahlia in a new pot, can I sprinkle a few of the fertilizer on top? Sorry, newbie question :D

Right now, I can see some new buds forming and lesser dried leaves. I only water them once a week. I guess it's on way to recovery *fingers-crossed* Will post pics as soon as they look better :)

Ask a Question