Iris

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know the name of this Iris please. My mother 'persuaded' a piece of it's parent plant to come home with her from a holiday in America many years ago. It's in flower now, it's full height is approximately 16 inches and it has a sweet perfume.

IMG_3924.JPG

IMG_3923.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh I love the colors of these irises, but don't know their particular name!!They are just irises to me, and if they have a sweet scent, what could be better? I have seen some very unique colors combo and they are just out of this world!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
That is a yellow flag Iris, they are numerous here in New York, they actually come in many different colors. I have seen some of the yellow ones that actually have almost a bronze petal at the ends, so pretty! they also come in green shades too. I like the Blueflags the best. I had those planted at my old home, At this property they just do not seem to want to go. Here is a picture of the ruffled bearded, yours seem to have rounded edges, do they eventually ruffle? If the do ruffle they are a bearded Iris The flags have rounded edges and very delicate veining in the flower, the flags like to grow in very moist areas, the bearded Iris like it much dryer.

8797081894942.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They're beautiful! I've always had a soft spot for irises, they're one of my favorite plants. I wish it was possible to grow them indoors! Irises remind me of butterflies:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
They are lovely! I just obtained a couple copper irises from someone in the plant swap. I've wanted to grow irises for years now and am finally getting started. These are native to my area and I'm looking for more in different colors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your kind comments IcyBC and Claudine. :)

Mockingbird......very pretty irises you have there! (y) Mine are not bearded irises as they are symmetrical all the way round, the leaves remain rounded without ruffling and they grow from rhizomes not bulbs.The flowers never seem to fully open even though they are in a sunny position.

Chanell.....you won't regret growing irises they give a lot and need little attention, its a shame they don't have a longer blooming time. The iris above I've had a number of years but I now have two other types, all dwarf growing.

This is a Pacific Coast iris below which grows from bulbs and flowers late spring. Both flowers although slightly different colours are from the same plant.
Iris (4).JPG

Iris (5).JPG

Iris ensata 'Moonlight waves'. This one grows from a rhizome and flowers in the summer.
Iris 'Moonlight Waves'.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
They prefer sandy soil but will be happy in most types of soil as long as it's not to wet and also full sun if possible. Feeding them tends to make them put out new shoots and will stop them flowering, so if you intend to feed leave it until they have finished flowering and only once a year. If your iris have grown from a rhizome, plant them close to the surface. If they are from bulbs then plant them deeper. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I have planted some medium and dwarf irises together in my garden in partial sun. I'll keep my fingers crossed it's enough. Have put the names of them in the pot in my garden shed with all the other tags. Hope I can find them when they bloom. They really are a spectacular flower, aren't they?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thank you for your kind comments IcyBC and Claudine. :)

Mockingbird......very pretty irises you have there! (y) Mine are not bearded irises as they are symmetrical all the way round, the leaves remain rounded without ruffling and they grow from rhizomes not bulbs.The flowers never seem to fully open even though they are in a sunny position.

Chanell.....you won't regret growing irises they give a lot and need little attention, its a shame they don't have a longer blooming time. The iris above I've had a number of years but I now have two other types, all dwarf growing.

This is a Pacific Coast iris below which grows from bulbs and flowers late spring. Both flowers although slightly different colours are from the same plant.
View attachment 5924

View attachment 5925

Iris ensata 'Moonlight waves'. This one grows from a rhizome and flowers in the summer.
View attachment 5926
Thanks Sheal for the photos...just lovely.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
That is a yellow flag Iris, they are numerous here in New York, they actually come in many different colors. I have seen some of the yellow ones that actually have almost a bronze petal at the ends, so pretty! they also come in green shades too. I like the Blueflags the best. I had those planted at my old home, At this property they just do not seem to want to go. Here is a picture of the ruffled bearded, yours seem to have rounded edges, do they eventually ruffle? If the do ruffle they are a bearded Iris The flags have rounded edges and very delicate veining in the flower, the flags like to grow in very moist areas, the bearded Iris like it much dryer.

8797081894942.jpg
Lovely irises mockingbird. It's great to see them all together as I have done that but have to wait till Spring here in Oz to see the affect. Yours have made me feel confident that they will look great, too. Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Does anyone know the name of this Iris please. My mother 'persuaded' a piece of it's parent plant to come home with her from a holiday in America many years ago. It's in flower now, it's full height is approximately 16 inches and it has a sweet perfume.

View attachment 5910

View attachment 5911
The color is lovely Sheal. I think one of the ones I have planted are similar. Hope so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Silver surfer. The colours are spot on but my iris has smooth edged petals.:) I've had this iris for many years and although in a sunny position the flowers have never fully opened......but as you see below I discovered this one single open flower yesterday.

If you look back at the first picture I posted in this thread you will see one of the flowers has four tongues, not three. Another discovery I made yesterday. :)

IMG_0797.JPG

Last edited:

Ask a Question