Insect identification help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I started vermicomposting about 6 months ago, and I have a new type of insect in the bin. This is an indoor bin, so potential flying nasties are a big concern. Can you help me identify them?

I thought they were probably fruit flies in their larval stage, but I found a dissected worm today, several of these things crowded around it, and blood stains on the cardboard under the (half a) worm. Naturally, I'm quite worried. Each one is about 3mm long and looks per the photos below.

If anyone can help me, it will help me decide my next move.

Thanks,
Twig.

20200327_174328.jpg
20200327_174256.jpg
20200327_174230.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi everyone.

I started vermicomposting about 6 months ago, and I have a new type of insect in the bin. This is an indoor bin, so potential flying nasties are a big concern. Can you help me identify them?

I thought they were probably fruit flies in their larval stage, but I found a dissected worm today, several of these things crowded around it, and blood stains on the cardboard under the (half a) worm. Naturally, I'm quite worried. Each one is about 3mm long and looks per the photos below.

If anyone can help me, it will help me decide my next move.

Thanks,
Twig.

View attachment 62345View attachment 62346View attachment 62347
Could this be the culprit in larval stage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could this be the culprit?

The body shape kind of looks like it, but spring tails are white/translucent, whereas the ones I have are grey. The grey ones also don't seem to jump.

Ask a Question