Insect Identification

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Does anyone know what this bug is? The closest photo I can find online is the box elder bug, but the coloring is slightly different. This bug only has red on the head and underside, unlike the box elder. I'm thinking maybe it's a cousin?

10346279_10205289629577958_7875327702382344781_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It looks like some sort of beetle, but I couldn't tell you want kind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It looks like some sort of beetle, but I couldn't tell you want kind.

After looking at some photos online I have figured out it's the golden raintree bug. It's very similar to that elder bug, but I was able to find some information that led me to the right bug ID. It feeds on an annoying tree that has been dropping seed all over the yard where garden #2 is located.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Golden Rain Tree Bug (Jadera haematoloma) is a True Bug (Hemiptera) in the family Rhopalidae. Also known as the Red-shouldered Bug, this species is native to the United States, Mexico, Central America, and South America. Both nymphs and adults feed are particularly known for feeding on members of the Soapberry Family (Sapindaceae), including Soapberries (Sapindus spp.), Balloon Vine (Cardiospermum spp.), and Maples (Acer spp.), as well Golden Rain Trees (Koelreuteria spp.) introduced from China, Korea and Taiwan. However, they also sometimes feed on plants from other families.
image-asset.jpeg

Ask a Question