11 May 2016 Insect for identification.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/May 2016/11 May 2016 Insect for identification./HTML/ 11 May 2016 Insect for identification.
The hard casing insect is always in my garden area. I never see any identifiable damage on any crops. It always curls up and remains still when disturbed. It takes pressure to crush, usually pressing on a hard surface. It has ben called a wireworm but I don't think this is the correct name.

dsc_875411%20may%202016%20kale_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a millipede. They are cousins to a wire worm but millipedes are actually beneficial as they eat decaying organic matter and wire worms eat living roots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to see those in my garden too, but I am glad to read @Chuck 's comment about it! Now I know if I come across them, I will leave them be to do their job!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a millipede. They are cousins to a wire worm but millipedes are actually beneficial as they eat decaying organic matter and wire worms eat living roots
Actually they aren't really cousins, they just look vaguely similar. A wire worm is really the larval stage of the click beetle. I don't know if the click beetle is harmful or not as I rarely see them

Ask a Question