Indoor plant watering

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Reaction score
I always seem to over water my indoor plants to. All the advice is really helpful. The toothpick method sounds particularly good! Thank you for all the advice!

Reaction score
I always feel the soil between my fingers.. If it is dry I water my plants.. if there is still some dampness I wait another day. Indoor plants need less water and less frequently. Using a smaller can to water your plants help. I usually use long bottles filled with water.. now over a period of time I know exactly how much water each plant needs. Indoor plant die more often with over watering and pests than under watering. So do use your finger to check the soil.

Reaction score
I test the dryness of the soil of my indoor plants by sticking my finger into the soil. I can't only give a general guideline here. If I can detect a little bit of moisture right underneath the top layer, it's time to give the plant a drink of water. If it's totally dry, I have neglected my duty. :( I quickly make sure that the soil gets thoroughly moist through and through.

Reaction score
Okay, that makes sense, but do they just sit on top or do you submerge them in the soil? I am starting the transition to terra cotta pots (trying to get away from plastic, at least with food plants) and those are the plants where water is most in question since the pot can soak up a lot of water. However, the pots don't necessarily look wet when you water.

You stick the little terra cotta worm down into the soil like a stake and wait to see if the worm turns darker. If the worm looks dry, it's time to water the plant.

Reaction score
I have developed a device great technical characteristics: very long battery life (2 years), special algorithm that calculates the right amount of water for different pot sizes, it can be used indoors or outdoors, it has a LED light that informs you about soil moisture, it detects and warns you if the water tank is empty. You can find more information on our product here: http://igg.me/at/daisydotsi

I would like to get some feedback from you :) Thanks :)
useage_s.png

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a schedule to water my plants, twice a week they get watered just a little to make sure I am not over watering. In fact I suspect I am underwater at least one plant, when it gets dry the leaves will go limp then I water it deeply and go back to the twice a week schedule.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I only have four plants inside and they are ones that I don't required lots of water, and prefered to be a bit on the drier side. When I see the soil a bit dry, then I water them, and it takes about 2-3 days for them to get there, so that is when I give them drinks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a couple of indoor plants and have always had a tendency to over water! I have restrained myself but I seem to struggle to get the balance right. I even buy the lovely house flowering pots at the supermarket and they seem to die after flowering. How damp must the soil be? Is there a tip to testing the soil before I water.
I've heard that if you stick your finger *semi* deep into the soil and are able to rub them together and have a 'mud' like substance, then the soil is watered enough. I also struggle with over-watering and have lost a few plants to the pitfalls of this.. however lately I have been getting better just through using ^said technique and also using a small mister which dispenses water in a much smaller amount than a regular watering container. :)

Reaction score
Years ago I had indoor plants. Now I only have outdoor plants. The only real thing I remember about indoor plants is that I would take them outside every so often to get some sunshine. When ever it rained, I would also take them out. I think they are a great asset to any home and i've heard they even have health benefits. I will think about getting another house plant.

Reaction score
I always touch the soil with my finger ;) I bury it a bit into the soil and that tells me everything I need to know! I haven't had an over watering problem in a really long time using this method ;)

Reaction score
Country
India
dear sir can you tell me plss, what is the namre of this palm ? and now the leaves of this palm dry . why

Attachments

• PhotoChooser-c9d9c020-682f-408b-8744-4dcd1f4cef11.jpg
    PhotoChooser-c9d9c020-682f-408b-8744-4dcd1f4cef11.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 308
Reaction score
Country
India
what is the name of this palm ? pls tel me sir

Attachments

• PhotoChooser-c9d9c020-682f-408b-8744-4dcd1f4cef11.jpg
    PhotoChooser-c9d9c020-682f-408b-8744-4dcd1f4cef11.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 345
Reaction score
Yes I have heard that over watering plans is not good for them. In fact i've heard that this can actually kill the plants. I usually water mines a little maybe twice a week. I think that sometimes people think too much about the fact that they should be caring for plants and try a little too hard. I've even seen where plants rot because of too much water.

Ask a Question