In search of potato for East Texas

Meadowlark

Gardner, Angler, Adjunct Professor, and Rancher
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've always had excellent production on red new potatoes (10 to 1 production ratio average) but poor production on white potatoes (3 to 1 ratio at best). This is for potatoes planted in late winter and harvested in late May. I have never done well on either type planted in the fall. So, I'm looking for a magic white or off-white potato that will produce in fall as well as late winter plantings. I'm also interested in determining which type of potato, red or other, is best suited for Hügelkultur (HK) containers.

I'm getting together the seed potatoes now to start an experiment next Feb. The following types are on-hand now or on order. I'll compare HK production to Garden production and assign a subjective taste and quality rating to each type. First round of results should be next May and the second-round next year late fall/early winter.

Here is the current line-up:

TypeHK proGar ProPro RatioTasteQuality
Sarpo Mira
Huckelberry Gold
Elba
Baltic Rose
Caribe
Kennebec
Russett
Yukon Gold
German BB
Reds

Comments/questions welcomed.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Everyone like taters! Detailed pictures of the huelglekulture(?) and garden setup would be great.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I lived in Phoenix AZ I planted potatoes November 1st. When I lived in Illinois we planted in May 20. Now I live in TN if I plants May 1st or later rain stops in June we have 95° to 100° weather for 4 months with almost no rain garden is desert all summer. Potatoes need lots of water in TN. RED Pontiac are HOT weather potatoes they grow good in TN but white potatoes are not easy to grow in TN. Our TN soil is too heavy for good crop of potatoes water will not soak into the soil I spray plants 5 minutes water only soaks in about 1" deep. A soaker hose planted along side seed potatoes works great this is the only way to get water to the plants June to Sept. 5-20-20 fertilizer needs to be tilled into the soil before planting potatoes. I refuse to be a slave to my garden I seldom spent 5 to 10 minutes a day in the garden. Some times I do nothing to the garden for a week or May to July is a very good time to go camping. Red potatoes out produce white potatoes 4 to 1. If you plant seed potatoes in potting soil, water & fertilize 2 times a week Red potatoes out produce white potatoes 10 to 1 in TN. We like white potatoes best so I don't grow many red potatoes. Potatoes are tricky to grow if you don't do them right you have very few new potatoes. This year I try something new, I hope to grow 200 lbs of potatoes in a double row 34 ft long and grow 4 different kinds of potatoes in the same row.

Last edited:

Ask a Question