I Need To Increase My Soil Temperature By About 3F.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Oh, I thought you were just looking for a temporary solution for a few months of the winter. My bad...:oops:
I was looking for a temporary natural means to increase the soil temps over the month and a half of "winter" that we have here, but if I could have a good looking natural and permanent solution like Becky suggested, all the better. I have thought about adding in a bunch of black lava sand to the top layer of my sandy soil and mixing it in with the compost I add, then some of my seaweed mulch (fresh seaweed from the Laguna Madre a few times a year), then placing some black lava rocks around my coconut palms would be a good idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm glad you like the idea! :) Let us know what you do with it - we'd love to see some photos!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
I'm glad you like the idea! :) Let us know what you do with it - we'd love to see some photos!
Sure. I love to take photos of my yard. My goal over the next 3 to 5 years is to have the MOST tropical yard in Corpus Christi that would rival something you might see on the southeast side (warmest side) of Brownsville along one of the resacas there, or like something you would see in Bradenton or Melbourne, Florida.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Here are some recent photos of my yard. The first photos is of my Jamaican Tall Coconut Palm in the background and my Maypan hybrid Coconut Palm in the foreground. The second photo is of my Yellow Malayan Dwarf Coconut Palm. These are all in my front yard. The third photo is of my King Palm in the backyard adjacent to my Macaw's cage and in front of the kitchen window. The fourth photo is of my Cuban Royal Palm in the backyard. The fifth photo is of my Florida Thatch Palm in the front yard. And the final photo is of my Hong Kong Orchid Tree in the backyard. I have many more palms and other tropical trees, but I don't want to bore you with a list of all of them.

Attachments

• Perfect January Day In South Texas 003.JPG
    Perfect January Day In South Texas 003.JPG
    418.2 KB · Views: 203
  • Coconu Palms and Yard Photos 001.JPG
    Coconu Palms and Yard Photos 001.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 232
  • All Of My In Ground Palms 002.JPG
    All Of My In Ground Palms 002.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 214
  • All Of My In Ground Palms 003.JPG
    All Of My In Ground Palms 003.JPG