Hyacinthoides

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I have a Hyacinthoide of some kind that was planted long ago at my house built in 1952. It blooms little white bell shaped blossoms every season in the shade of the front shrubbery. I am demolishing the house to build a new one which will sit on top of where the flowers are now. We are just now beginning the process of getting a builder. I would say we would begin in the next couple months. I have heard it is best to dig up and move bulbs in the fall, but I can't do that. I believe the foliage will die back by summer. I have marked the location of the flowers. Would it be better to dig them up now, or wait until right before the demo? I love the cheerful little bells so much! I want to save them if at all possible. Thx

Reaction score
Country
United States
While it is often ideal to move bulbs when doramnt, bulbous plants such as your white-flowered Bluebells (Hyacinthoides sp.) can be transplanted while growing, like most other plants. Be sure to dig deep enough to remove the entire bulb and as many roots as possible. You can either transplant them directly to their new location, or plant hem in a container of well-drained potting soil. Either way, irrigate and fertilize them until natural dormancy sets in in late Spring or early Summer. If planted in a container, they can be planted in-ground later when fully dormant, in late Summer or Fall when other Summer-dormant bulbs are planted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Natashaberry79

Latest Threads