How to move plants to new house

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone.

I shall be moving my house in a couple of months and I have several plants and shrubs in posts that I will be taking with me. I don't want to sell them as I love them a lot. My kids also like them and want them in our new home. So I have decided to take them with us into our new home.
I have about 50 hostas of various sizes, all in pots and tubs. Some are about 4 ft in diameter as well as 20 fuschias and many other plants and cuttings to take. How should I prepare them for the journey?

I will be using a long-distance shipping company. I was thinking of putting the pots in bin bags and securing them to the trunk to keep any ants contained. Should I wrap in fleece or something similar to protect the branches?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone.

I shall be moving my house in a couple of months and I have several plants and shrubs in posts that I will be taking with me. I don't want to sell them as I love them a lot. My kids also like them and want them in our new home. So I have decided to take them with us into our new home.
I have about 50 hostas of various sizes, all in pots and tubs. Some are about 4 ft in diameter as well as 20 fuschias and many other plants and cuttings to take. How should I prepare them for the journey?

I will be using a Caperemovals long-distance shipping company. I was thinking of putting the pots in bin bags and securing them to the trunk to keep any ants contained. Should I wrap in fleece or something similar to protect the branches?
Can anyone offer any suggestions, please? Thanks

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
First thing I would do is check with the shipping company to see what restrictions they might have and also check for restrictions at the shipping destination. Many states restrict such transfers.

Trim the plants back to save space and water them thoroughly before shipping.

Reaction score
Country
United States
First thing I would do is check with the shipping company JHBRemovals to see what restrictions they might have and also check for restrictions at the shipping destination. Many states restrict such transfers.

Trim the plants back to save space and water them thoroughly before shipping.
thank you so much for your suggestion

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hello everyone.

I will be using a long-distance shipping company. I was thinking of putting the pots in bin bags and securing them to the trunk to keep any ants contained. Should I wrap in fleece or something similar to protect the branches?
Did this a few years back. Got a separate company to ship the plants we could take with us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I did this when I moved from W USA to Hawaii.

First, check and make sure what is and isn't allowed by your State Dept. of Agriculture at your destination.

Examples:

1. No plants which still have dirt or soil on them can be legally moved into Hawaii, so I had to bring only bareroot plants.

2. Check the Invasive Plants list for the state you are moving to. Some plants which are not invasive in your home state may be unwelcome in your destination state. Castor bean is allowed in California, and not in Hawaii.

3. Please cooperate with any required inspections processes. Usually, seeds and cuttings are allowed, so I brought an entire suitcase full of seeds and cuttings, all of which had to be inspected by both Customs and Agriculture Depts. when I arrived in Honolulu. I got my cuttings back in 3 days, but had to wait 2 weeks for my seeds to be returned to me after inspection.

Next, find out what is common and inexpensive in your destination state. (Unnecessary to ship my plumerias and my orchids to Hawaii, so I sold them all at a moving sale to save on shipping costs.)

Ask a Question